X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    It still is a semi-custom design with a lot of problematic "IP" around, so they'd probably run into problems.
    From the PS4 Linux project's presentation at 33c3, there were a number of quirks to address, firmware needed reverse engineering, and some PC legacy which Linux expected wasn't there. And there was the "southbridge" which was its own can of worms. In principle these problems could be readily solved by AMD and by using something sane as southbridge.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    And aren't the current APUs already fairly good?
    No. They are acceptable for some games and not for others. Also a couple of games which are just playable on a 2400G on Windows after OC are still unplayable on Linux. Deus Ex:MD for example.

Raven Ridge raw processing power is somewhere between Xbox One and PS4 (circa 2013), but lacks ESRAM compared to Xbone and GDDR5 compared to PS4.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I think chithanh meant "the same APU power but in a more PC-like platform" with less lockdown.
    If it were exactly the same APU with the Sony-specific parts and lockdown disabled it would be fine.

Leave a comment:

• bryanbr
    replied
    On my 2200g and x470 board, with these patches to Mesa 18.2 dev, I'm now recording glmark2 scores of above 3600 for the first time. This is on Mint with 14.7.1. Prior to the patch, the scores were 3500. And with all of the work in this area, about 1 month ago, the scores were around 2800.

So there have been a lot of improvements. If only the system booted properly more than 50% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I think chithanh meant "the same APU power but in a more PC-like platform" with less lockdown.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    I hope that whatever APU is used in the PS5 will find its way to individual mobos too. PS4 has nice graphics performance and now runs Linux, but the low single-thread performance is sufficient only for a gaming console, not PC gaming nor general PC tasks. With Zen in the PS5 APU that should be all fine.
    Why would you want a closed and locked down gaming console for your Linux tasks? (I know it was usually Gentoo that was booting first on the opened consoles, but still, it's a lot of work to get those things open (enough) to run some Linux kernel + userland.) And I am rather certain they won't put the very PS5 chips on normal mobos / sockets. It still is a semi-custom design with a lot of problematic "IP" around, so they'd probably run into problems.
    And aren't the current APUs already fairly good?

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    I hope that whatever APU is used in the PS5 will find its way to individual mobos too. PS4 has nice graphics performance and now runs Linux, but the low single-thread performance is sufficient only for a gaming console, not PC gaming nor general PC tasks. With Zen in the PS5 APU that should be all fine.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

I don't think that's the case.
    GTX 1070 for laptops has over 100W TDP on its' own, legacy CPUs add +45W to that. Now if you take a look at just how thin and light the new 1070 Max-Q laptops are (CPU +GPU TDP should be approx. 140-150W) I think we could easily see this inside a laptop. There was a "conspiracy" that nvidia GPP was initially started to counter AMD's push for laptop markets. Maybe that's the reason behind limited Kaby Lake G laptop supply.
    +1

That's exactly Intel's idea, bringing up an APU that would match the intel+nvidia perf using less energy

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    I have to wonder what AMD has in the pipeline to compete
    Intel is using previous gen AMD graphics on their CPU.

What AMD have to do is release an APU with the same TDP using a Vega/Navi GPU inside

Leave a comment:

• IreMinMon
    replied
    Originally posted by tpruzina

That's a Hades Canyon NUC which can draw 100+W, I don't think you can justify anything close to it in laptop form factor.
    This is meant to be fairly expensive home media center box solution.
    I don't think that's the case.
    GTX 1070 for laptops has over 100W TDP on its' own, legacy CPUs add +45W to that. Now if you take a look at just how thin and light the new 1070 Max-Q laptops are (CPU +GPU TDP should be approx. 140-150W) I think we could easily see this inside a laptop. There was a "conspiracy" that nvidia GPP was initially started to counter AMD's push for laptop markets. Maybe that's the reason behind limited Kaby Lake G laptop supply.

Leave a comment:

• dwagner
    replied
    The only benchmark result I would be interested in for this CPU/GPU combination would be the mean time between driver crashes that can be reached under Linux.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    I have to wonder what AMD has in the pipeline to compete. Obviously they knew this was coming.
    thay have fenghuang raven

Leave a comment:

Working...
X