Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCN 1.1 On AMDGPU DRM Driver To Now Default To PowerPlay

Phoronix: GCN 1.1 On AMDGPU DRM Driver To Now Default To PowerPlay

When using a GCN 1.1 CIK / Sea Islands GPU with the non-default AMDGPU DRM driver, it will soon begin defaulting to use PowerPlay for power management rather than the old DPM code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does powerplay work on GCN 1.0 (r9 270) using the parameters?

Comment

Good stuff

The wait continues for amdgpu to become the default kernel driver for sea islands.

Comment

That's quite nice, but as long as hdmi-audio doesn't work on hawaii using the amdgpu-driver does leave a bitter taste.
        And yes i have tried with amdgpu.dc=1 but that doesn't work...even leads to system-hangs on shutdown and still no audio output available

Comment

I wonder if that means I'll stop getting those DPM warnings on boot on a R7 M260

Comment

Still some ATi AGP regression on some ppc32 Macs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYx9X92iQHM

Comment

rene - I don't think those have Sea Island GPUs.......those are pretty old GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                rene - I don't think those have Sea Island GPUs.......those are pretty old GPUs.
                Yep, not at the Cube right now, but IIRC it is a Radeon 7500 (RV200) so basically a die-shrink of the R100 in the then new 150 nm manufacturing process. But still a regression though. Really hate that older hardware support is constantly getting broken for no good reason. Aka "never change a running system^W code", … :-/

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

Yep, not at the Cube right now, but IIRC it is a Radeon 7500 (RV200) so basically a die-shrink of the R100 in the then new 150 nm manufacturing process. But still a regression though. Really hate that older hardware support is constantly getting broken for no good reason. Aka "never change a running system^W code", … :-/
                  1) That's handled by older kernel driver radeon
                  2) ppc32 had tons of quirks starting from cache coherency differences with x86 and getting bugs fixed meant significant personal debugging effort even in its prime time. The CPU+motherboard+GPU combination needed to be reproduced for proper debugging
                  3) ppc32 architecture has essentially been dead since Apple moved to Intel around ten years ago. ppc64 is still very much alive but was never used in old Macs

Comment

Also AGP all in all belongs in nightmarish hit-or-miss quirky technologies. It was even worse on ppc32. You can probably get more compatible hardware from a trash can

Comment

Working...
                    X