Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vega Up For Another Performance Boost On RadeonSI, More Fixes For RADV From Feral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vega Up For Another Performance Boost On RadeonSI, More Fixes For RADV From Feral

Phoronix: Vega Up For Another Performance Boost On RadeonSI, More Fixes For RADV From Feral

It's always great having more open-source graphics driver improvements to kick off a new month. Marek has started the day by volleying 14 new RadeonSI patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love how these open source projects and porters like dxvk,radv are helping with bug fixing and performance improvements. And im happy to see more performance come to Vega since this is the GPU I use!

Comment

I think it was said before.. But it doesn't hurt to say it again.
      Feral games is awesone. Too bad it's Linux existance is threatened by the likes of dxvk. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing againdt dxvk, it's work that deserved to be appreciated, but I kind of sense they are stepping on their tows...

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
        I think it was said before.. But it doesn't hurt to say it again.
        Feral games is awesone. Too bad it's Linux existance is threatened by the likes of dxvk. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing againdt dxvk, it's work that deserved to be appreciated, but I kind of sense they are stepping on their tows...
        I would argue the other way. Feral takes stewardship of the games under Linux/MacOS - I can just install them from steam and I *know* they will work. No need to faff about with Wine to get them working!

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
          Too bad it's Linux existance is threatened by the likes of dxvk.
          it is not. dxvk is irrelevant for linux games

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            it is not. dxvk is irrelevant for linux games
            Though I don't think dxvk threatens anything, it isn't irrelevant to Linux games, either. Linux being a niche market is unappealing to game devs, and they'll find any excuse they can to not port something. If dxvk makes a game smoothly run on Linux without having to port it, that's 1 less native port we could've had. Since Steam doesn't [natively] allow you to run Windows games in your library over Wine, not only is that an inconvenience to many Linux gamers, but it results in many people running the Windows version of Wine. That in turn signifies the Linux marketshare is shrinking, even though it really isn't.

In other words, improving the Wine experience has no direct impact on Linux games, but in the grand scheme, it isn't helping us get a larger userbase.

Comment

Vega right now needs stability fixes more so than performance fixes. I'm getting CTDs and kernel crashes with most games. With Hearts of Iron i even get hard locks that don't respond to magic keys.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
                Vega right now needs stability fixes more so than performance fixes. I'm getting CTDs and kernel crashes with most games. With Hearts of Iron i even get hard locks that don't respond to magic keys.
                Where is the bug report? <=> OSS

Comment

Michael
                  Marek though didn't mention though

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    In other words, improving the Wine experience has no direct impact on Linux games, but in the grand scheme, it isn't helping us get a larger userbase.
                    you are arguing that wine works on reducing its userbase
                    it wasn't very successful at that

Comment

Working...
                    X