Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using orca on amdgpu (Kaveri)?

Hi,

so I gave it another go trying to use the closed source opencl stack and failed again, I just don't see what I'm doing wrong.
    First, my distribution is Exherbo, so not exactly officially supported, but in principle, it should work, I think.
    Second, my kernel (4.16) is self-compiled, with the following config (excerpt):
    Code:
    # CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
    CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=y
    # CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI is not set
    CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y
    # CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR is not set
    # CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_GART_DEBUGFS is not set

#
    # ACP (Audio CoProcessor) Configuration
    #
    CONFIG_DRM_AMD_ACP=y

#
    # Display Engine Configuration
    #
    # CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC is not set
    CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_PRE_VEGA=y
    mesa is 18.0.2 (for the moment) and ddx is xf86-video-amdgpu 18.0.1. llvm (does it matter for orca?) is 5.0.1.
    APU is a Kaveri:
    Code:
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
            Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 29
            Region 0: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Region 2: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]
            Region 4: I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
            Region 5: Memory at feb00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
            Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
            Capabilities: <access denied>
            Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
    Now I downloaded the Ubuntu version and had a look at the deb files and their deps.
    Turns out, I need the contents of these files:
    Code:
    amdgpu-core_18.10-572953_all.deb
    amdgpu-pro-core_18.10-572953_all.deb
    clinfo-amdgpu-pro_18.10-572953_amd64.deb
    opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd_18.10-572953_amd64.deb
    Extracted them and did end up with this file list:
    Code:
    /opt
    /opt/amdgpu-pro
    /opt/amdgpu-pro/bin
    /opt/amdgpu-pro/bin/clinfo
    /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib
    /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libamdocl-orca64.so
    /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libamdocl12cl64.so
    /etc
    /etc/OpenCL
    /etc/OpenCL/vendors
    /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl-orca64.icd
    Looks about right to me, those two libs don't have any other amdgpu-related link-time deps afaics.
    Added /opt/amdgpu-pro/bin to PATH and /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu to LDPATH and wanted to see if it works, so I run clinfo (doesn't matter if as root or normal user):
    Code:
    clinfo
    zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  clinfo
    Am I doing something wrong? :/

I think I have never been able to have OpenCL working on my A10 APU (Godavari, but very close to Kaveri) using AMDGPU-Pro or the open-source stack. It will probably remain unsupported forever, even on Windows the last driver version that supports it is 17.4. I think AMD has abandoned support for that line of APU since at least a year or so. In fact this has been confirmed to me by someone from AMD.

The best I could do is install fglrx on an old distro such as Debian 8, then OpenCL works.

EDIT: as Berniyh said below, 18.20 appears to support Kaveri/Godavari which is really cool :-)
    Last edited by cde1; 20 May 2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I thought I read that others got it working, hence why I'm asking.

Anyway, even if it wasn't supported, I would expect it to throw an according error message instead of just crashing.

Comment

Forget it, I've got it working now.
        cde1's post in the other thread made me look for & try 18.20 and with that it doesn't segfault and does actually work.

Although the gain in darktable unfortunately wasn't as big as I hoped. Processing times are reduced by ~40-50%.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
          Forget it, I've got it working now.
          cde1's post in the other thread made me look for & try 18.20 and with that it doesn't segfault and does actually work.

Although the gain in darktable unfortunately wasn't as big as I hoped. Processing times are reduced by ~40-50%.
          Cool! I assume video output also works? That's something I was never able to get working outside of catalyst (it would just show a black screen).

Comment

Originally posted by cde1 View Post

Cool! I assume video output also works? That's something I was never able to get working outside of catalyst (it would just show a black screen).
            You mean VDPAU? Yes, that works. In fact it always worked for me since switching to amdgpu and that was since the initial release of xf86-video-amdgpu, so beginning of 2016.

I recently experienced some system crashes, which I think are related to VDPAU (at least they didn't occur since I switched to xv for testing), but apart from that it wasn't a problem for me at all.

Edit: now that OpenCL works, I did some tests with mesa 18.2 git master which is supposed to run up to 2× faster on some workloads.
            Question: would it be expected that this improves the performance of OpenCL as well?
            Because it seems to be the case. In darktable, I did some raw performance testing before on an image I already edited previously. On top of that I did some WB changes, so the whole stack + the WB is computed and darktable gives you a time for each step and the whole thing:
            Only CPU: ~2.5s
            GPU mesa 18.0: ~1.4-1.6s
            GPU mesa 18.2: ~0.7-0.8s

I was a bit surprised by this as I thought that the change in mesa should only affect OpenGL-rendering?
            But I take it anyway.
            A change from (initially 2.5s) to <1s for a huge image editing stack is a very pleasant result.
            Last edited by Berniyh; 20 May 2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X