Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open ATI R600/700 3D Graphics For Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it unlikely for these drivers to support texture compression? The open drivers on my Radeon 9000 don't have this and are much slower than their windows counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
      Is it unlikely for these drivers to support texture compression? The open drivers on my Radeon 9000 don't have this and are much slower than their windows counterparts.
      Is that what you are looking for ?

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/~rscheide...3tc_index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        @duby: Please stop bringing up the drm-discussion in every single thread.
        I'm simply contributing to an existing discussion.

Comment

no, you are kicking and biting around you and annoy everybody with your stupid anti-drm rants.
          Don't get me wrong, drm is wrong. But that does not change some facts of reality - whci you want everybody to ignore to fit in your close minded and very wrong picture of the world.
          Wake up and smell the roses!
          Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            no, you are kicking and biting around you and annoy everybody with your stupid anti-drm rants.
            Don't get me wrong, drm is wrong. But that does not change some facts of reality - whci you want everybody to ignore to fit in your close minded and very wrong picture of the world.
            Wake up and smell the roses!
            Thank you very much.
            And your making personal attacks, so I guess that must make you a hell of a lot better then me huh?

Comment

somebody has to tell you the truth at some point. The truth is: just because you think something should be in a certain way does not chance the facts of life - or the laws. And attacking some dev in a couple of threads and a couple of postings because of contracts his bosses had to sign to stay in business doesn't make it better. If you want to change something, fine. But your stupid rants won't change anything. So does your blatant calls to break the laws and probably destroying a whole company.

Comment

The main problem I see here is this is offtopic here and not only here. Just make a "DRM and ATI" topic somewhere. This topic should be about 3d acceleration on r600. I don't have anything against little offtopic here and there, but a couple pages disccusion about DRM is just too much.

Another hijacked topic example is "No more tears" patch for radeon. I visited that topic to see opinions on this patch and maybe find a howto install it etc. but to my dismay I found there ... guess what ? Yes , a couple pages of DRM disccusion
                Last edited by val-gaav; 23 November 2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

The main problem I see here is this is offtopic here and not only here. Just make a "DRM and ATI" topic somewhere. This topic should be about 3d acceleration on r600. I don't have anything against little offtopic here and there, but a couple pages disccusion about DRM is just too much.
                  Well somebody could sticky it.

I wouldn't say that this thread was highjacked, though. It's just a news article that has meandered. The connection is that ATI + Microsoft/MPAA DRM = No 3D open source Linux drivers (so far). Go figure.

Comment

There was one good question, some pages before: why there aren't DRM-free "models"?

I personally would buy one for myself, and many other Linux/OpenSource fans as well. EVEN for the SAME money ;-)

Another point: if it has the same acceleration architecture for everything except of DRM-related parts - it's spec. will never be claimed in the violating of any document. But the developed driver can be easily patched to support everything else..

Comment

Originally posted by mityukov View Post
                      There was one good question, some pages before: why there aren't DRM-free "models"?

I personally would buy one for myself, and many other Linux/OpenSource fans as well. EVEN for the SAME money ;-)
                      Since the DRM debate ruturns like a bumerang I'll answer that. It is cheaper to include DRM in all models even if some of those cards don't use it/need it. In fact it might have end up that this DRMless card would cost more then the one with DRM.

That's the answer from one of those DRM topics out there If you know a bit about economy and scale effect this should be quite logical.

Comment

Working...
                      X