Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux kernel, packages and drivers are needed for AMD Ryzen 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Linux kernel, packages and drivers are needed for AMD Ryzen 3?

I wonder what Linux kernel, packages and drivers are needed for AMD Ryzen 3 to work for gaming.
    Haven't been able to start native and wine games.
    Also wanted to know how it works someone else with similiar system and machine.

Blender's Cycle works.
    Xonotic(glx/sdl) lags unplayable.

PC Specs:
    • System: Manjaro Linux 17.1.10 x86_64
    • Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B350-PLUS
    • APU: AMD Ryzen 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics
    • Memory: 8GiB

Actually the mainline kernel git is just fine. I use it and it works just fine. Mesa the same, the newer the better. 18.2 git for example brings (between probably other things) 4k HEVC/VP9 hardware decoding.

Comment

Kernels before 4.16 do not support the 2200G properly.

Should work mostly:
      Kernel 4.16
      Mesa 18.0
      LLVM 5.0

For optimal results:
      Kernel 4.17 (currently in -rc5)
      Mesa 18.2 from git
      LLVM 6.0

Comment

debianxfce,

Do you have a Ryzen CPU, and if so have you been able to get CPU frequency scaling to work? I have a constant difference of ~60W when idle between Windows (even in High Performance mode) and Linux. I enabled powersaver governor by default, but it appears to have no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I have Ryzen 5 1600. Remove CPU frequency scaling from the kernel and let the bios and cpu itself control frequencies and power usage. I have no power monitor but when idle, the cpu temp is 28C when the room temperature is 22C.
          Thanks. I believe the real issue is that the lowest frequency that the kernel accepts is 2.20GHz, and this is higher than what is used in Windows when idling (note I have left C6 enabled in the BIOS).

Code:
          analyzing CPU 0:
            driver: acpi-cpufreq
            CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
            CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
            maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
            hardware limits: 2.20 GHz - 3.70 GHz
            available frequency steps: 3.70 GHz, 3.20 GHz, 2.20 GHz
            available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, conservative, performance, powersave, schedutil
            current policy: frequency should be within 2.20 GHz and 3.70 GHz.
                            The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
                            within this range.
            current CPU frequency is 2.14 GHz.
            cpufreq stats: 3.70 GHz:0.04%, 3.20 GHz:0.08%, 2.20 GHz:99.88%  (27)

Comment

Originally posted by cde1 View Post

Thanks. I believe the real issue is that the lowest frequency that the kernel accepts is 2.20GHz, and this is higher than what is used in Windows when idling (note I have left C6 enabled in the BIOS).
            So that is probably not the root cause as Windows 10 leaves the frequency at a minimum of 3 GHz. So I tried underclocking and could reduce the voltage to 1.05V (instead of the default which hovers between 1.3 and 1.4V), while forcing the maximum frequency to 3600 MHz. The effect on power consumption is quite large (200W used at the wall instead of 250W when running Prime95).

Does anyone have 54945_PPR_Family_17h_Models_00h-0Fh.pdf and 55723_SOG_Fam_17h_Processors_3.00.pdf? (bridgman?) Right now support.amd.com is down and give:

Code:
            Server Unavailable!
            Server unavailable.Please visit again later
            URL: support.amd.com/TechDocs/55723_SOG_Fam_17h_Processors_3.00.pdf
            EDIT: this problem has been fixed as of today
            Last edited by cde1; 21 May 2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I have Ryzen 5 1600. Remove CPU frequency scaling from the kernel and let the bios and cpu itself control frequencies and power usage. I have no power monitor but when idle, the cpu temp is 28C when the room temperature is 22C.
              Have you checked wether the value you set in the BIOS for the CPU frequency is actually used? I have set 3600 MHz but this does not change the behavior in Linux.

Code:
              CPU MHz:             3940.747
              CPU max MHz:         3600.0000
              CPU min MHz:         2200.0000
              As you can see above frequency goes above the recommended value, with or without cpufreq compiled in the kernel. I'm thinking frequency scaling is currently not implemented for fam 17h. Perhaps Michael has more insight on this?

Comment

Here, maybe you can learn something from my own thread on the same APU:

I also have a Ryzen 2200.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
                  Here, maybe you can learn something from my own thread on the same APU:

I also have a Ryzen 2200.
                  Thanks for the heads up. I will try compiling amd-staging-drm-next as debianxfce suggested, it seems indeed more up-to-date that mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by cde1 View Post

Code:
                    analyzing CPU 0:
                    CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
                    CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
                    hardware limits: 2.20 GHz - 3.70 GHz
                    available frequency steps: 3.70 GHz, 3.20 GHz, 2.20 GHz
                    available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, conservative, performance, powersave, schedutil
                    current policy: frequency should be within 2.20 GHz and 3.70 GHz.
                    The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
                    within this range.
                    current CPU frequency is 2.14 GHz.
                    cpufreq stats: 3.70 GHz:0.04%, 3.20 GHz:0.08%, 2.20 GHz:99.88% (27)

Is that a 2200g?? What kernel?

I have on my 2200g (disregard the governor):

Code:
                    analyzing CPU 3:
                      CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 3
                      CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 3
                      hardware limits: 1.60 GHz - 3.50 GHz
                      available frequency steps: 3.50 GHz, 2.30 GHz, 1.60 GHz
                      available cpufreq governors: userspace, powersave, conservative, ondemand, performance, schedutil
                      current policy: frequency should be within 1.60 GHz and 3.50 GHz.
                                      The governor "schedutil" may decide which speed to use
                                      within this range.
                      current CPU frequency is 1.42 GHz.

Comment

Working...
                    X