Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Open-Source Driver Support For Vega 20

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Open-Source Driver Support For Vega 20

AMD today published their big set of patches bringing open-source Linux kernel support for the "Vega 20" graphics processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> ...there is some belief that it might just be a deep learning accelerator and not focused as a gaming graphics card or at least not initially.

I think this concern may be tempered by this fact:

> The patches enable a new version of UVD video decoding as well, version 7.2, for this Vega 20 hardware.

UVD support, to me, would seem to indicate that this is at least a workstation/display/multiseat/virtual desktop server graphics part.

Comment

allow the AMDGPU drmver to use system memory as its video memory

[s]By the way, I feel sad for AMD since NVIDIA has a 110 TFLOPS accelerator and AMD does not [/s] never mind, due to cb88's post.
      Last edited by tildearrow; 15 May 2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I wonder how it can be 70% faster as AMD said it's a die shrink meaning the same number of stream processors and probably higher frequencies.
        But, then again, Vega was king of a die shrink of Fiji (same number of stream processors).
        I think AMD is cooking something, and I hope it it's not baseless hype.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          allow the AMDGPU drmver to use system memory as its video memory

By the way, I feel sad for AMD since NVIDIA has a 110 TFLOPS accelerator and AMD does not
          those TFLOPS are only for the tensor cores

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            > ...there is some belief that it might just be a deep learning accelerator and not focused as a gaming graphics card or at least not initially.
            Yep, it's an instinct card for machine learning.
            no gaming products announced.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
              I wonder how it can be 70% faster as AMD said it's a die shrink meaning the same number of stream processors and probably higher frequencies.
              But, then again, Vega was king of a die shrink of Fiji (same number of stream processors).
              I think AMD is cooking something, and I hope it it's not baseless hype.
              Vega was not a die shrink. It had many hw changes that made it a different GPU from Fiji.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                Sounds really good now we Linux open-source customers get PREMIUM support and windows is second class citizen!!!!
                thats an overstatement

Comment

From the VEGA whitepaper:
                  “Vega” 10 GPU capable of exceeding 27 teraflops or 55 trillion integer ops per second

Note that AMD's integer support is a little more flexible than Nvidia's it seems and is built right into the regular compute cores instead of being a separate unit. Vega20 if it turns out as expected should have at least 90TeraOPS compared to 110 TeraOPS on Nvidia's less integrated design. The Nvidia "Tensor" cores are probably harder to use with graphics workloads but AMD could use theirs directly in image processing etc...

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

Vega was not a die shrink. It had many hw changes that made it a different GPU from Fiji.
                    Yes, I am aware of different hw blocks, that's why I put "kind of". My phrasing was not correct.
                    What I was trying to say was that at the same frequencies tests showed performance was similar. Of course, I cannot say I understand the architectures, I am speaking from the perspective of a consumer.

Anyway, I think that low and mid range AMD graphic chips are excellent but commercially they need the Halo effect from a product like the Titan X.
                    Meaning that maybe they won't make alot of money from it, but many consumers will see the lower tie ones (the ones that make the $) in better perspective.

Comment

Working...
                    X