Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDKFD In Linux 4.18 Bringing Vega GPU Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMDKFD In Linux 4.18 Bringing Vega GPU Support

    Phoronix: AMDKFD In Linux 4.18 Bringing Vega GPU Support

    The AMDKFD kernel driver in the upcoming Linux 4.17 has the long-awaited discrete Radeon GPU support working so it can be used with the ROCm/OpenCL compute user-space, but Vega GPU support wasn't ready for this release. Fortunately, it's ready for Linux 4.18...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...8-Improvements

  • #2
    Is Tonga supported? I never see mention of it, although i suppose it is similar to Fiji so perhaps it is already supported.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      Is Tonga supported? I never see mention of it, although i suppose it is similar to Fiji so perhaps it is already supported.
      it should be, though - I have not actually checked. It would be rather weird to miss GCN1.3 when it was rather similar to GCN 1.2

      Comment


      • #4
        Is RR fully covered as well?

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow, great stuff. My next laptop will definitely have a raven ridge

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Is Tonga supported? I never see mention of it, although i suppose it is similar to Fiji so perhaps it is already supported.
            Originally posted by boxie View Post
            it should be, though - I have not actually checked. It would be rather weird to miss GCN1.3 when it was rather similar to GCN 1.2
            Tonga was implemented and validated before ROCm was planned, and IIRC there were some hardware issues that impacted running ROCm on it.

            AFAICS Tonga is currently enabled in upstream amdkfd code but the testing focus has been on newer parts or parts which offer features not yet available in newer parts, eg Hawaii's >2.5TF double-precision performance.
            Last edited by bridgman; 05-14-2018, 10:24 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Tonga was implemented and validated before ROCm was planned, and IIRC there were some hardware issues that impacted running ROCm on it. AFAICS it is enabled in upstream amdkfd code but most of the testing focus has been on newer parts.
              so YMMV - but might be golden

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by boxie View Post
                so YMMV - but might be golden
                Just for clarity, we are not saying "might be golden"... I was guiding more towards the low-expectation end of the YMMV spectrum.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by treba View Post
                  Wow, great stuff. My next laptop will definitely have a raven ridge
                  Agreed. Besides my desktop, I have a 2010 MBP w/ an SSD and 8GB that's chugging along nicely that I keep on macOS, but without a shadow of a doubt my next laptop will be Linux powered. When Apple f'd up the sudo login on "root" to allow anyone in after one failed pw attempt (then released a subsequent OS update that undoes the root fix bug) that was the last straw for me lol. Not to mention my MBP has the magsafe, no gimmicky keyboard, high def matte screen, I hope I can keep it running forever, love it.

                  And for the record 2018 is no longer Year of the Linux Desktop, it's the year of Linux everything.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X