Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Software 18.20 Preview Offers Early Support For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS & RHEL 7.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    Probably just on your documentation: https://rocm.github.io/hardware.html
    I guess 5xx should be supported too, right bridgman?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      I guess 5xx should be supported too, right bridgman?
      Yeah, that page is a couple of years old. I believe the latest information is here:

AMD ROCm™ Software - GitHub Home. Contribute to ROCm/ROCm development by creating an account on GitHub.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
        It's alright. I take it that success is not guaranteed with Phenom II and it's even unlikely on the latest GPUs.
        AFAIK PCIE atomics are still required for newer GPUs, so with a Phenom your best chance of success would be with a 290/390 GPU.
        Test signature

Comment

I'm not sure if the recent packaged drivers actually include ROCm userspace - will check but I believe that was removed and replaced by PAL paths.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Yeah, that page is a couple of years old. I believe the latest information is here:

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm
            Good to know, thanks!

Comment

I installed the opencl driver (PAL mode) on my debian (testing) system, it seems to work. I got a warning about failing to install some dkms driver, but everything seem to be fine anyway (it's running the 4.17 kernel, so maybe things have been mainlined).
              What components should be built in order to get the same stack (opencl/PAL mode), in addition to PAL and llvm (found on the GPUOpen driver repo on github) ?
              Also what's the difference between ROCm and PAL ? Which one will be used for next AMD graphics cards ?

Comment

Originally posted by RhumArrange View Post
                Also what's the difference between ROCm and PAL ?
                ROCm is our compute-focused stack, using hardware features initially developed for HSA then extended to mid-high end dGPUs. PAL is a more conventional graphics/compute stack, with command submission via ioctl to the kernel DRM driver.

Originally posted by RhumArrange View Post
                Which one will be used for next AMD graphics cards ?
                PAL will be implemented on all new hardware, integrated or discrete, large or small, while ROCm will be implemented mostly on the larger parts.
                Last edited by bridgman; 07 May 2018, 08:48 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  will we get the ROCm option back in the driver in the future? for me the Ethereum Performance was much better 140MHs to 180MHs for 6 vega-64 cards
                  I don't know what the plan is re: including ROCm in the packaged all-open/workstation drivers, but we are continuing to ship regular ROCm stack releases as well.

(Edit) bridgman is it possible for AMD to release the PAL as open-source to replace Clover OpenCL in mesa?
                  Most of the PAL code has been open sourced as part of AMDVLK - we have asked about open sourcing the OpenCL-to-PAL portion but it hasn't really been discussed much yet.
                  Test signature

Comment

Sounds not so bad really. But really AMD need to rethink this amdgpu-pro workstation driver whats the problem in including stuff like OpenGL compatibility profile to the all open stack? because a driver who even do crash firefox on AMD.com is really strange.
                    The smaller issue is that it is a big pile of coding work. The larger issue is that a lot of compatibility profile usage happens outside the OpenGL specs, and so "getting it right" on a different driver architecture is more like reverse engineering than regular development, with a lot of testing & tweaking. Compatibility profiles would have died already if there were more than a couple of GPU vendors supporting them, since every driver is going to behave somewhat differently.

Yes why not re include ROCm in the packaged for all-open stack... or write a more smart installer script who checks if the hardware is compatible to ROCm.
                    Each new stack we release requires a bunch of additional testing; in the short term we want to keep the number of places/forms we release code aligned with our ability to test it.

"it hasn't really been discussed much yet" thats good to why not just start discussing it now. it would be much easier to the people to install a open-source PAL packets in the Linux distro instead of downloading a closed source driver packet from amd.com
                    Because we are already working 12+ hour days and can't pack any more in until we finish some of the current tasks/topics.

Test signature

Comment

do you use kde or gnome or unity? bridgman talks like it is my fault if i use KDE...

I call this bullshit this rotten closed source driver is just a shit driver.
                      using default unity DE on ubuntu 18.04, my system is using default settings as much as possible.
                      the crash is in the amdgpu library.
                      I also have the flash/noise bug with amdgpu.dc if that's related.
                      the hardware is GL702ZC-GC154T

Comment

Working...
                      X