Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Software 18.20 Preview Offers Early Support For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS & RHEL 7.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    We are calling the older code path "legacy" because we are just starting to replace it with PAL (beginning with Vega in the 18.10 release) and needed a name for it since we now had more than one option. That said, I believe it is what we are using for everything up to Polaris right now.
    I thought that one already had a name. What else would "Orca" be?

I don't know what the timeline is for enabling PAL in earlier GPUs (it supports everything back to SI AFAIK) but I'll ask if it is worth installing on SI with the PAL option selected to see if/how it works. In a lot of cases the main obstacle to switching code paths quickly is more about the testing/tuning/certification effort than about "making it run".
    So will OpenCL/PAL eventually completely replace Orca? Will it be open sourced like AMDVLK, so packagers could eventually finally offer packages?
    And what happened to OpenCL/ROCm?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

I have two theatripper systems with 6 vega-64 and this driver "18.20" left my Kubuntu 18.04 in a unuseable status... even amd.com website crash in firefox now. kde infocenter crashes to if i click on openGL information.
      My firefox tabs started crashing too.
      Setting layers.acceleration.force-enabled to false fixed the issue with most websites.(I had it manually set to true previously)
      Last edited by FastCode; 05 May 2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
        I thought that one already had a name. What else would "Orca" be?
        The problem is that "Orca" isn't really a very good name for it - Orca was the code name for the new (in 2007) OpenGL driver, and the OpenCL driver later picked up a copy of the lower level (HW layer and OS layer) code from Orca OpenGL.

Originally posted by juno View Post
        So will OpenCL/PAL eventually completely replace Orca? Will it be open sourced like AMDVLK, so packagers could eventually finally offer packages?
        And what happened to OpenCL/ROCm?
        OpenCL for all of the new chips will be using PAL rather than Orca so eventually PAL will completely replace Orca for sure. Shorter term plans are still being worked out, but the fact that we already have an open source implementation of PAL in AMDVLK is an attractive argument for broader use of PAL.

OpenCL/ROCm is still being developed and AFAIK is still plan of record for high-end high-performance parts.
        Last edited by bridgman; 05 May 2018, 08:57 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qidarium
          do you use kde or gnome or unity? bridgman talks like it is my fault if i use KDE....
          Nope, I'm just saying that we may not be testing the closed driver regularly on KDE since all of the enterprise distros we officially support are using GNOME as their primary DE. I also mentioned that I thought it was possible to get OpenCL working with the all-open install option on the package driver, which (if true) would probably be a better option for you since KDE is mostly tested on the open stack not the workstation stack.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

do you use kde or gnome or unity? bridgman talks like it is my fault if i use KDE...

i call this bullshit this rotten closed source driver is just a shit driver.
            Could be that Firefox is not supported web browser, AMD probably only officially supports Ubufox and Rhfox, Uinux and Rinux

Blob only supports other particular blobs you know, else goes offcially unofficially
            Last edited by dungeon; 05 May 2018, 11:35 PM.

Comment

So an update on my end with 18.04 LTS and RX 480, I was able to keep the Mesa open-source stack (18.0.0-rc5) and just add headless OpenCL support. (which is what I really wanted)

$ ./amdgpu-install --opencl=legacy --headless -y

Then reboot and you should be good to go. No more running kernel 4.13 with ROCm necessary; can now run with the latest 4.15.0-21 kernel in bionic-proposed.

What's interesting is when it finished installing, it failed building the amdgpu module for the current kernel, but OpenCL works after reboot? I'm sure I'm being silly but can someone explain that?

Running $ dkms status doesn't show the amdgpu module built, but clinfo shows working OpenCL:

$ ./clinfo | grep 'Platform Version\|Device Version\|Device Board Name\|Max compute units\|Max clock frequency\|Global memory size'
              Platform Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2633.3)
              Max compute units: 36
              Max clock frequency: 1303Mhz
              Global memory size: 5544169472

How's that exactly? I thought it's not built into the 4.15 kernel, and if there's no module built by dkms, how's the OpenCL working just from the running the --headless script and installing a few packages?

EDIT: so now I'm running 4.17-rc3 and OpenCL is still working like a champ. If anyone can explain I'd appreciate it.
              Last edited by perpetually high; 05 May 2018, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                EDIT: so now I'm running 4.17-rc3 and OpenCL is still working like a champ. If anyone can explain I'd appreciate it.
                Who knows, buggy bugs likely I remember JayzTwoCents needed two reboots so either one cold or two warm, etc... on Windows to make Ryzen works... one sometimes seems not enough

Either failed instalation fixes itself second time or you already have amdgpu loaded or some firmware failed to initialize or could be even buggy bioses... could be anything of that
                Last edited by dungeon; 06 May 2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

OpenCL for all of the new chips will be using PAL rather than Orca so eventually PAL will completely replace Orca for sure. Shorter term plans are still being worked out, but the fact that we already have an open source implementation of PAL in AMDVLK is an attractive argument for broader use of PAL.
                  Apologies for all the questions, but just to clarify: Is GCN 1.0/SI completely unsupported (under Orca) until experimental support is flipped on in the PAL, or is it actually supported at present under the "legacy" implementation and any buggy OpenCL behaviour should be considered as such?

Comment

Thanks. Do you know if OpenCL/PAL requires any non-upstreamed patches for kernel, libdrm and LLVM or would it "just work" on an up-to-date system?
                    Also, for the initial AMDGPU announcement, there was info about an eventually open-sourced OpenCL driver. Is OpenCL/PAL finally going to be it, analogue to AMDVLK or did you guys mean ROCm back then?
                    Last edited by juno; 07 May 2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StillStuckOnSI View Post
                      As someone still in possession of a GCN 1.0 GPU, the biggest missing piece not provided by the open source drivers is modern compute (aka OpenCL >= 1.2). fglrx used to provide this, but the (very welcome!) push towards unifying under amdgpu has left SI cards high-and-dry, so to speak, with regards to said compute features. Short of buying a new GPU, the only options are to downgrade to a 3.x series kernel or run Windows.
                      I was able to run clinfo against amdgpu-pro-18.10 on an AMD Radeon HD 8570 Oland (GCN SI):

Code:
                      Number of platforms                               1
                        Platform Name                                   AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
                        Platform Vendor                                 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                        Platform Version                                OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2580.4)
                        Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE
                        Platform Extensions                             cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices
                        Platform Host timer resolution                  1ns
                        Platform Extensions function suffix             AMD

Platform Name                                   AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
                      Number of devices                                 1
                        Device Name                                     Oland
                        Device Vendor                                   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                        Device Vendor ID                                0x1002
                        Device Version                                  OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (2580.4)
                        Driver Version                                  2580.4
                        Device OpenCL C Version                         OpenCL C 1.2
                        Device Type                                     GPU
                        Device Board Name (AMD)                         AMD Radeon Graphics
                        Device Topology (AMD)                           PCI-E, 01:00.0
                        Device Profile                                  FULL_PROFILE
                        Device Available                                Yes
                        Compiler Available                              Yes
                        Linker Available                                Yes
                        Max compute units                               6
                        SIMD per compute unit (AMD)                     4
                        SIMD width (AMD)                                16
                        SIMD instruction width (AMD)                    1
                        Max clock frequency                             750MHz
                        Graphics IP (AMD)                               6.0
                        Device Partition                                (core)
                          Max number of sub-devices                     6
                          Supported partition types                     (n/a)
                          Supported affinity domains                    (n/a)
                        Max work item dimensions                        3
                        Max work item sizes                             1024x1024x1024
                        Max work group size                             256
                        Preferred work group size (AMD)                 256
                        Max work group size (AMD)                       1024
                        Preferred work group size multiple              64
                        Wavefront width (AMD)                           64
                        Preferred / native vector sizes                 
                          char                                                 4 / 4       
                          short                                                2 / 2       
                          int                                                  1 / 1       
                          long                                                 1 / 1       
                          half                                                 1 / 1        (n/a)
                          float                                                1 / 1       
                          double                                               1 / 1        (cl_khr_fp64)
                        Half-precision Floating-point support           (n/a)
                        Single-precision Floating-point support         (core)
                          Denormals                                     No
                          Infinity and NANs                             Yes
                          Round to nearest                              Yes
                          Round to zero                                 Yes
                          Round to infinity                             Yes
                          IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add               Yes
                          Support is emulated in software               No
                          Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  Yes
                        Double-precision Floating-point support         (cl_khr_fp64)
                          Denormals                                     Yes
                          Infinity and NANs                             Yes
                          Round to nearest                              Yes
                          Round to zero                                 Yes
                          Round to infinity                             Yes
                          IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add               Yes
                          Support is emulated in software               No
                        Address bits                                    64, Little-Endian
                        Global memory size                              2139533312 (1.993GiB)
                        Global free memory (AMD)                        2070508 (1.975GiB)
                        Global memory channels (AMD)                    2
                        Global memory banks per channel (AMD)           16
                        Global memory bank width (AMD)                  256 bytes
                        Error Correction support                        No
                        Max memory allocation                           1596905472 (1.487GiB)
                        Unified memory for Host and Device              No
                        Minimum alignment for any data type             128 bytes
                        Alignment of base address                       2048 bits (256 bytes)
                        Global Memory cache type                        Read/Write
                        Global Memory cache size                        16384 (16KiB)
                        Global Memory cache line size                   64 bytes
                        Image support                                   Yes
                          Max number of samplers per kernel             16
                          Max size for 1D images from buffer            134217728 pixels
                          Max 1D or 2D image array size                 2048 images
                          Base address alignment for 2D image buffers   256 bytes
                          Pitch alignment for 2D image buffers          256 pixels
                          Max 2D image size                             16384x16384 pixels
                          Max 3D image size                             2048x2048x2048 pixels
                          Max number of read image args                 128
                          Max number of write image args                8
                        Local memory type                               Local
                        Local memory size                               32768 (32KiB)
                        Local memory syze per CU (AMD)                  65536 (64KiB)
                        Local memory banks (AMD)                        32
                        Max number of constant args                     8
                        Max constant buffer size                        65536 (64KiB)
                        Preferred constant buffer size (AMD)            16384 (16KiB)
                        Max size of kernel argument                     1024
                        Queue properties                                
                          Out-of-order execution                        No
                          Profiling                                     Yes
                        Prefer user sync for interop                    Yes
                        Profiling timer resolution                      1ns
                        Profiling timer offset since Epoch (AMD)        1525614970086445336ns (Sun May  6 14:56:10 2018)
                        Execution capabilities                          
                          Run OpenCL kernels                            Yes
                          Run native kernels                            No
                          Thread trace supported (AMD)                  No
                          Number of async queues (AMD)                  2
                          Max real-time compute queues (AMD)            0
                          Max real-time compute units (AMD)             0
                          SPIR versions                                 1.2
                        printf() buffer size                            4194304 (4MiB)
                        Built-in kernels                                (n/a)
                        Device Extensions                               cl_khr_fp64 cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_vec3 cl_amd_printf cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_media_ops2 cl_amd_popcnt cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_spir cl_khr_gl_event

NULL platform behavior
                        clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...)  No platform
                        clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...)   No platform
                        clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default]            No platform
                        clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [other]              Success [AMD]
                        clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_DEFAULT)  Success (1)
                          Platform Name                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
                          Device Name                                   Oland
                        clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU)  No devices found in platform
                        clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU)  Success (1)
                          Platform Name                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
                        clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR)  No devices found in platform
                        clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM)  No devices found in platform
                        clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL)  Success (1)

Comment

Working...
                      X