Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Software for Linux 18.10 Brings Vulkan 1.1, Ubuntu 16.04.4 / SLE 12 SP3 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
    are ryzen apus supported? i would like to try rocm on my 2400G
    I tried it on my 2400G and surprisingly it worked! Driver used seems to be PAL and device is recognized as gfx902. I guess that performance can be improved though in a few cases.

Comment

Originally posted by ekondis View Post

I tried it on my 2400G and surprisingly it worked! Driver used seems to be PAL and device is recognized as gfx902. I guess that performance can be improved though in a few cases.
      thanks, will try it once the aur is updated

Comment

Originally posted by uentity View Post

Hi, bridgman ! Can you please clarify if `amdgpu-dkms` is needed for OpenCL (just OpenCL without OpenGL, Vulkan, etc) to work? I could only compile dkms amdgpu modules for kernel v. 4.13, it fails for all later versions -- required for `amdocl64` (Vega).

For now I can state that 18.10 is generally failed to install & work properly on my system.
        1) Install script of RHEL 7.4 package isn't working on Fedora (it worked fine in 17.50 release, so this is a regression). I had to manually fix it. And an overall that installer is broken at least for Fedora :-/
        2) Most severe regression is that `amdocl-orca64` OpenCL driver (legacy stack, if I understand correctly) just segfaults with `clinfo` or any other OpenCL program. So my Polaris-based GPUs are unusable for computing -- I did something, reinstalled everything 2nd time and OpenCL seems to work on all GPUs, including Polaris.

At the same time Vega 64 seems to work via PAL (`amdocl64`).
        BTW, does system LLVM affect OpenCL computing in amdpu-pro?
        Yes. An installer is really broken if you want to install only OpenCL support. After this *installation* you should install manually amdgpu-dkms and opencl-amdgpu-pro (to make amdocl64-orca usable). Maybe amdocl-orca64 fails because libdrm-amdgpu is not installed (however opencl-amdgpu-pro resolves this problem). Some note about amdgpu-dkms: it requires kernel not later than 4.13 and do not forget to enable CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL and DRM support.
        Last edited by matszpk; 02 May 2018, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by matszpk View Post
          Yes. An installer is really broken if you want to install only OpenCL support. After this *installation* you should install manually amdgpu-dkms and opencl-amdgpu-pro (to make amdocl64-orca usable). Maybe amdocl-orca64 fails because libdrm-amdgpu is not installed (however opencl-amdgpu-pro resolves this problem). Some note about amdgpu-dkms: it requires kernel not later than 4.13 and do not forget to enable CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL and DRM support.
          Are you saying that if you install with the --headless option you still need to manually install amdgpu-dkms etc.. ? That doesn't seem right.
          Test signature

Comment

Hi, bridgman ! Can you please clarify if `amdgpu-dkms` is needed for OpenCL (just OpenCL without OpenGL, Vulkan, etc) to work? I could only compile dkms amdgpu modules for kernel v. 4.13, it fails for all later versions -- required for `amdocl64` (Vega).
            The amdgpu-dkms package is required for OpenCL. Installation of headless OpenCL for Vega can be done with:

Code:
            amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=pal
            In this case, use of amdgpu-install or amdgpu-pro-install makes no difference. The above simply installs PAL OpenCL and all its dependencies, which includes amdgpu-dkms.

For now I can state that 18.10 is generally failed to install & work properly on my system.
            1) Install script of RHEL 7.4 package isn't working on Fedora (it worked fine in 17.50 release, so this is a regression). I had to manually fix it. And an overall that installer is broken at least for Fedora :-/
            Well that explains your difficulty. Fedora is not supported. That it worked with 17.50 is a happy coincidence. There are a couple of approaches you can try:
            1. Use the RHEL 7.4 packages with a custom kernel built from @agd5f's amd-mainline-dkms-4.13 branch. (I can ask him to update it.) This assumes the RHEL 7.4 packages can still be installed successfully on your version of Fedora, even if the dkms package fails to build.
            2. Install the RHEL 7.4 packages in an RHEL or CentOS 7.4 container running on your Fedora system with a custom kernel built from @agd5f's amd-mainline-dkms-4.13 branch.

2) Most severe regression is that `amdocl-orca64` OpenCL driver (legacy stack, if I understand correctly) just segfaults with `clinfo` or any other OpenCL program. So my Polaris-based GPUs are unusable for computing
            That likely indicates the dkms module failed to build.

-- I did something, reinstalled everything 2nd time and OpenCL seems to work on all GPUs, including Polaris.

At the same time Vega 64 seems to work via PAL (`amdocl64`).
            BTW, does system LLVM affect OpenCL computing in amdpu-pro?
            Vega OpenCL uses PAL (--opencl=pal). Pre-Vega GPUs use legacy OpenCL (--opencl=legacy). System llvm does not affect computing or graphics with the amdgpu-pro packaged drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Are you saying that if you install with the --headless option you still need to manually install amdgpu-dkms etc.. ? That doesn't seem right.
              No, that's not right. Installation of headless OpenCL can be done with one of:
              Code:
              amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=pal
              amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=legacy
              amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=legacy,pal
              ​​​​​​
              In all cases, all necessary dependencies are installed. If you're not seeing this (on an up-to-date, supported distribution with a distro kernel), that's a bug.

You can run:
              Code:
              amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=pal --dryrun
              to list the packages that will be installed.

Code:
              dkms status
              will tell you if the kernel mode was successfully built and installed for your kernel. If not, you need to investigate and fix the problem before proceeding as nothing will work without it.

Comment

Interesting, so is PAL only for Vega, or do Polaris cards run OpenCl on it as well?

Did this release include the wattman like tools amd has been working on?

Comment

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post
                  Interesting, so is PAL only for Vega, or do Polaris cards run OpenCl on it as well?
                  My understanding is that by default (which is what gets QA tested) PAL is only used for Vega, but that code is present for earlier HW just not tested yet.

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post
                  Did this release include the wattman like tools amd has been working on?
                  Not to my knowledge - AFAIK we are still building the low-level support in the kernel driver.
                  Test signature

Comment

I wrote about my experiences while installing this driver and tutorial how to install that driver on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed in https://community.amd.com/message/2861683

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Whoops, Creak indeed! Sorry for the confusion
                      Sorry for the delay, for some reason, Phoronix forum doesn't send me emails anymore.. I have to look at the new messages on the top-right corner.

Well, it's stalling a little bit (real job got in the way), but I have already started it (there's even a branch on github for that). What is a bit strange for me is that there are no extensions in the features.txt file for Vulkan. It seems to just be compatible with Vulkan 1.0 or nothing. I've asked the question in the mesa mailing list, but the answer was a bit fuzzy.. I still don't catch how the drivers can be 100% compatible with Vulkan 1.0 while I see new extension once every two weeks. If someone has an explanation, I'd gladly hear it

Comment

Working...
                      X