No announcement yet.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Linux Performance On AMD Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downloaded it this morning and just ran the benchmark once. I got all the usual Feral warnings: Your OS isn't supported, your video card isn't supported, your processor governor is not right etc. but it all ran through, I didn't check the settings but ROTR ran just ducky on my rig: 4790K, R9 270, Mageia 6, 49 FPS with whatever settings it used (1920x1200). Oh and Lara's bum looked great.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
      Don't they have the sourcecode to do it properly without wrapper etc?
      The wrapper allows them to not redo the whole work everytime, code it once and reuse.

Comment

Thank you for testing the R290 Michael. I thought I'd PayPal you as a "thanks", since I'm already a lifelong Phoronix member.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
          I remember that this scene had some serious issues with pop ups (on Windows). You might have to re-run it to see all objects.
          Yes, the geothermal valley benchmark e.g. doesn't work correctly on CPUs with just four threads because most of the level objects aren't loaded in time.
          Should be no poblem with 4C + HTT or more threads.

Comment

Haven't fired it up yet, still at work, but I wish Feral hadn't linked the executables precisely against libSDL2-2.0.7.so, libSDL2_image-2.0.1.so, and such. I like having the choice to unbundle libraries in favour of my own compiled ones. I could still do this by hacking the ELF or symlinking but my esteam tool for Gentoo would have unbundled these automatically if they had used the standard libSDL2-2.0.so.0 and libSDL2_image-2.0.so.0 names.

Comment

Thanks for including a card "as old" as the Radeon 7950. Very considered

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                I ssh'd into my box from work to kick off the download with steamcmd so I don't have to wait when I get home.
                steam web client allows to kick off download remotely on running steam clients

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Yes, the geothermal valley benchmark e.g. doesn't work correctly on CPUs with just four threads because most of the level objects aren't loaded in time.
                  Should be no problem with 4C + HTT or more threads.
                  Hmm, I've got 8C/16T and still had popups. Although it's been a while and might have been fixed, maybe it should also be run from a SSD instead of HDD.

Comment

I find the benchmark a bit misleading. I get a fair bit of stuttering during Phrophet's Tomb and the min FPS score is under 20 while the overall score is about 57. When I actually played that area though, it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                      I find the benchmark a bit misleading. I get a fair bit of stuttering during Phrophet's Tomb and the min FPS score is under 20 while the overall score is about 57. When I actually played that area though, it was fine.
                      The benchmark already loads the next Scene as a background Task, you notice this when Looking at the CPU load and RAM consumption.

RotTR is another infamous example why using a game's own integrated benchmark feature can lead to a load of flawed results.

Comment

Working...
                      X