Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU DRM Gets "GFXOFF" Patches To Turn Off Graphics Engine

Phoronix: AMDGPU DRM Gets "GFXOFF" Patches To Turn Off Graphics Engine

AMD's Huang Rui has posted a set of 20 patches providing "GFXOFF" support for the AMDGPU Direct Rendering Manager Linux kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would this make it able to turn off the dGPU in an raven ridge APU based laptop or only the iGPU in the APU?
    That would make the fans work a lot less and an laptop to be a lot more silent.
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 19 April 2018, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Interesting, this seems to be an implementation of AMDs ZeroCore feature, which has been discontinued on Windows 10 and doesn't support connectors other than DVI. DP and HDMI are not supported because of the audio chip according to AMD (The Fury X seems to be an expeption there, since it even has a special LED for that very powerstate)
      Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 19 April 2018, 04:48 AM.

Comment

It may be related to Epyc release slide showing GPU fore Epyc Socket as koprocessor or another processor in server
        ]https://diit.cz/sites/default/files/...?itok=UmCYXyFR

Comment

Pretty sure my secondary R9 Fury shuts down and gets close to zero Watts in Windows, while in Debian both of them constantly idles at around 15W. Wonder if this is the same feature that already seems to be implemented in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Would this make it able to turn off the dGPU in an raven ridge APU based laptop or only the iGPU in the APU?
            That would make the fans work a lot less and an laptop to be a lot more silent.
            It already can do that, that's what PRIME does. When you're not using the card it's switched off entirely.

I do hope they bring that feature to regular desktops too, would be great for media PCs so you only fire up the graphics card when it's needed for say gaming but use the onboard graphics for decoding video

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

It already can do that, that's what PRIME does. When you're not using the card it's switched off entirely.

I do hope they bring that feature to regular desktops too, would be great for media PCs so you only fire up the graphics card when it's needed for say gaming but use the onboard graphics for decoding video
              It doesn't work very well, when i had my laptop with 9830P and RX460 the fans drove me crazy and i rarely used DRI_PRIME=1.
              I'm not quite sure that prime actually turns of the dGPU completely since the chip seems produce heat even when not used, sensors often reports temperatures above that of an turned of chip.

Comment

As someone who's had both a Radeon 6600M and M395X I can assure you that it does work well and it does turn off the chip, the sensors don't report anything when the chip if off

If you're seeing more heat when it's off then report a bug. If you don't have radeon or amdgpu loaded the card will still be powered waiting to be bound to a driver

Comment

Working...
                X