Kaby Lake G / Vega M support on Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaby Lake G / Vega M support on Linux

bridgman I was wondering what it would take to support the Vega M GPU (Polaris 22?) included in the new Kaby Lake G processors using the open-source AMDGPU drivers.

Are there any technical challenges that would make the task significantly harder than, for instance, supporting Raven Ridge APUs or a standalone Vega M ? Or is it just a question of time and limited developer resources ?

To me, it seems that the tricky part would be implementing the power sharing with the CPU, but I am mostly clueless about how this actually work so I might be entirely wrong...

Also, does anyone know whether the technical documentation has been released for this GPU, as it seems to be the case for other AMD GPUs ? Since it is essentially a semi-custom chip sold to Intel, I am not sure whether AMD's usual policy still applies here.

Just being curious

How and when Linux drivers will come is anyone's guess. Intel themselves said that they, not AMD, will provide drivers for Kaby Lake G.
    One interesting wrinkle: Intel will be responsible for supplying the drivers for the Radeon GPU, though company engineers won’t write the original code. An Intel representative said they’re working closely with AMD’s Radeon business to supply “day one” drivers for new games, when those drivers become available.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3235...-graphics.html

Tthe amdgpu driver in Linux does not even have the PCI ID (1002:694C/1002:694E) of Radeon RX Vega M. And given that the ps4-linux project reported that AMD developers were hostile towards PS4 support in amdgpu, I would not expect anything without Intel's official blessing.

Comment

I honestly don't really expect AMD (or Intel) to ever support it officially on Linux.

I was more interested in the technical feasibility of such a thing. Since I doubt that the architecture is fundamentally different from Polaris / Vega, with some retro-engineering effort it might be possible to reuse a substantial part of the AMDGPU code base (correct me if I am wrong). After all, Nouveau seems to be mostly (entirely ?) based on retro-engineering, and Nvidia tends to be much less open-source friendly than either Intel or AMD.

Comment

Really? Still no upstream support? That's a REALLY bad news.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Intel themselves said that they, not AMD, will provide drivers for Kaby Lake G.
          Whoever to provide it to me it is Adrenalined post-Catalyst... and currently have very weird rebrand of Radeon Settings

https://techreport.com/review/33506/...-pc-reviewed/2

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Really? Still no upstream support? That's a REALLY bad news.
          People here does not like pictures, as Windows is fancy and DOS is better
          Last edited by dungeon; 18 April 2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

German website golem.de tested an Intel Hades Canyon NUC in Linux. The results were pretty bad:

Originally posted by golem.de
            Dass das 'Vegaris'-Design speziell angepasste Treiber benötigt, wird bei der Linux-Installation klar: Für das freie Betriebssystem sind schlicht keine Treiber verfügbar. Sämtliche unserer Versuche, die Grafikeinheit zum Laufen zu bekommen, scheiterten. Wir können lediglich die Grafikausgabe über den Framebuffer nutzen, was eine sinnvolle Arbeit aber extrem erschwert. Die hardwarebeschleunigte Videowiedergabe funktioniert damit auch nicht.

Rough translation:
            Originally posted by golem.de
            That the 'Vegaris' design requires specially adapted drivers becomes clear during Linux installation: There are simply no drivers available for the free operating system. All our attempts to get the graphics unit to work failed. We were only able to use framebuffer graphics output, which made using it for meaningful work extremely difficult. The hardware-accelerated video playback did not work either with it.

Comment

There is no really much difference between Sad & Mad Bross, just couple pixels opposite

Probably still looks good at 8K res
              Last edited by dungeon; 18 April 2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X