Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Vulkan Driver Lands Out-of-Order Rasterization Support, Small Performance Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Driver Lands Out-of-Order Rasterization Support, Small Performance Boost

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Lands Out-of-Order Rasterization Support, Small Performance Boost

The Mesa-based RADV Vulkan driver has landed initial support for out-of-rasterization support, but it's currently disabled by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

RADV has supported this Vulkan extension for quite a while, this just enables relaxed rasterization order under certain circumstances even if an application does not use the extension.

Comment

I imagine this would be especially useful for multi-GPU setups. Too bad they're a dying breed.

Comment

They are ?

Comment

I wonder what will happen to RADV when amd moves on from graphics core next

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
            I wonder what will happen to RADV when amd moves on from graphics core next
            Can you expand on that ?

Comment

pete910 I think amd navi is planned to be the last generation to use GCN , If amd open sources the next architecture quickly enough , then porting radv wouldnt make much sense considering how much effort that would take

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
                pete910 I think amd navi is planned to be the last generation to use GCN , If amd open sources the next architecture quickly enough , then porting radv wouldnt make much sense considering how much effort that would take
                You're assuming it would take significant enough an effort that it wouldn't be done anyway. Note that this is just about talking the userland part of graphics stack implementation and Vulkan is a much simpler beast than eg OpenGL. Majority of the support work will most likely happen in kernel anyway and will be shared by all userland drivers.

Comment

Does this have anything to do with utilizing the DSBR, if available? I recall similar performance improvement figures being advertised for that...

Comment

Working...
                  X