AMDGPU DC Begins Reworking FreeSync Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news!
    I was getting worried nobody seemed to work on it.
    Can't wait to finally be able to use it

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i've bought nice 1080p@240 display with freesync. it can do 4 times higher fps than 4k display on same videocard. even compared to 1440p result is much nicer even without working freesync
    I agree with you: I much prefer framerate over resolution.
    But to each his own, I guess.

Comment

Will opensource Freesync on Linux support work on HDMI aswell? Or will it be DisplayPort-only like currently when using AMDGPU-PRO?
      AFAIK on Windows it works via HDMI aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Scias View Post
        Will opensource Freesync on Linux support work on HDMI aswell? Or will it be DisplayPort-only like currently when using AMDGPU-PRO?
        AFAIK on Windows it works via HDMI aswell.
        Freesync over HDMI is technically a proprietary protocol, I would not hold my breath for it to be implemented in an opensource driver because secret sauce.

Comment

Is there anyone intending to try porting freesync to work on Intel and Nouveau now that AMD is revealing the foss kernel bits to make it work?

Comment

We have an open source freesync implementation for Linux, but it's not upstream yet (only available as patches) because we need a vendor independent API before it can go upstream and no one has had time to do that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
              Great news!
              I was getting worried nobody seemed to work on it.
              Can't wait to finally be able to use it

I agree with you: I much prefer framerate over resolution.
              But to each his own, I guess.
              Depends on the size of the screen. For typical PC Desktops higher resolutions are overrated. 1440p is only really useful for 24+ sized screens, ideally 27in. For 22-23in screens 1440p won't make that much of a difference compared to 1080p quality wise. Better framerates are vastly more important, as is colour accuracy.

Comment

Hopefully they do something about 4.16 soon, screen is flickering like a mad llama. (fury-x) Could be a combination of fury-x (heard reports of 580, 285, etc) and tear-free in X.
                Last edited by pcxmac; 04 April 2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Depends on the size of the screen. For typical PC Desktops higher resolutions are overrated. 1440p is only really useful for 24+ sized screens, ideally 27in. For 22-23in screens 1440p won't make that much of a difference compared to 1080p quality wise. Better framerates are vastly more important, as is colour accuracy.
                  my 32" 2k monitor has the same PPI as a 1080p 24" monitor. - that's a nice sweet spot

4k @ ~42" would be pretty nice as a monitor too

also as an aside - if you are looking at ~32" monitors and larger - get the curved ones! while 32" flat panel is usable, it's starting to get to the territory that a curved screen would make more sense

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
                    Hopefully they do something about 4.16 soon, screen is flickering like a mad llama. (fury-x) Could be a combination of fury-x (heard reports of 580, 285, etc) and tear-free in X.
                    Are you talking about a regression in 4.16 or a problem which has always been there ?
                    Test signature

Comment

a regression I believe. I have seen other comments/bugs about it doing a google search. Screen had no issues prior to 4.16, now my furyx + freesync monitor + tearfree option is flickering every 10-30 seconds. have a second monitor and apparently it is blinking too, just not as noticeable.

For me kernel 4.16 introduced a rare and random full screen black flickering. Please comment if you experience similar issues.
                      Last edited by pcxmac; 04 April 2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X