Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vega 12 Support Now Queued In DRM-Next For Linux 4.17

Phoronix: Vega 12 Support Now Queued In DRM-Next For Linux 4.17

The Vega 12 Linux kernel patches posted last week will now be appearing in the Linux 4.17 kernel with the work having been merged into DRM-Next...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find it a little bit funny that we get so much news about a mostly unknown GPU. I'm not complaining, it's just weird.

Comment

It's just one more piece of the overall plan falling into place. With a bit of luck this should become the new normal...
      Last edited by bridgman; 26 March 2018, 12:38 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I find it a little bit funny that we get so much news about a mostly unknown GPU. I'm not complaining, it's just weird.
        Why weird, we know it is Vega 12 and we have pciids. Who needs more, only missing thing are marketing's pretty names. That is how it is for Windows users also, speculations and rumors are norm before actual product appears

That said, someone spotted 69A0 back in december, something in combo with 6c/12t CPU with 2.4 GHz base clock... and now be free to guess what that is I guess, it is something mobile or low power desk, as base clock was so low - it is not ultra but average something but certainly it is not performance class

And yeah Vega 69A0 should be top model, else ids should be something slower For sure, It is something low power - crypto gamers shouldn't wait for this
        Last edited by dungeon; 26 March 2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Why weird, we know it is Vega 12 and we have pciids. Who needs more, only missing thing are marketing's pretty names. That is how it is for Windows users also, speculations and rumors are norm before actual product appears
          There's plenty more info missing, like its price, performance level, power consumption, form factor (ie, APU, dGPU, mobile GPU, professional GPU, etc), and so on.

Comment

There's plenty more info missing, like its price, performance level, power consumption, form factor (ie, APU, dGPU, mobile GPU, professional GPU, etc), and so on.
            Yeah, we haven't announced any of that stuff yet. Just availability of Linux driver code
            Test signature

Comment

Who cares about it. Only miners will get their hands on it anyway. I am stuck on my R9 380 and can't upgrade because i essentially have to pay the same amount of money for the same performance i got 3 years ago... And i don't want to buy Nvidia. Thanks AMD for not increasing production...

Comment

Yeah it is still unannounced (by marketing) chip, but also kernel 4.17 is not released yet, even 4.16 isn't... so who cares, all that is still in area of development.

It would we weird to me only if we have released kernel with support for these chips, but these are not yet on the market. If some product containing these chips appears up to time of 4.17 kernel release, everything is considered fine

If that for some reason does not happen in time (hopefully that won't happen), AMD should just disable ids by default for release and that is it and just reenable them when these are there

What to say, if some product is planned to appear on the market in this quarter timeframe, then just add it - no problemo
                Last edited by dungeon; 26 March 2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  Who cares about it. Only miners will get their hands on it anyway. I am stuck on my R9 380 and can't upgrade because i essentially have to pay the same amount of money for the same performance i got 3 years ago... And i don't want to buy Nvidia. Thanks AMD for not increasing production...
                  You do realize that Miners buying AMD GPUs for double the planned prize results in AMD getting a lot more money for their investments, resulting in more money to AMD, resulting in better drivers, faster hardware and more resources in general, which in turn will give you better hardware, faster and cheaper. They obviously have problems scaling their production, but hopefully they will be able to slowly increase it. Hopefully they won't overshoot, and lose money in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    It's just one more piece of the overall plan falling into place. With a bit of luck this should become the new normal...
                    What do you mean, more specifically? Which 'piece', and what 'overall plan'? And what is 'this' that should become the new normal? Drivers merged before public announcements, or are you talking about something else?

Comment

Working...
                    X