Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest AMDGPU DC Plays Nicer With Raven Ridge But Still Linux Gaming Stability Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest AMDGPU DC Plays Nicer With Raven Ridge But Still Linux Gaming Stability Issues

Phoronix: Latest AMDGPU DC Plays Nicer With Raven Ridge But Still Linux Gaming Stability Issues

Back in February was the exciting AMD Raven Ridge desktop APU launch with the Zen CPU cores and Vega graphics. Sadly, however, the Raven Ridge Linux support still appears to be a bit problematic but there have been improvements in recent weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Latest AMDGPU DC Plays Nicer With Raven Ridge But Still Linux Gaming Stability Issues
    Sadly, however, the Raven Ridge Linux support still appears to be a bit problematic but there have been improvements in recent weeks...

"But occasionally when running pure CPU/system workloads, I am able to occasionally hang the system as well..."
    I want to buy a small quantity of AMD 2400Gs, GPUs, and Raven Ridge motherboards as I have a number of older machines at home that are in dire need of upgrading plus I wish to increase the number of new machines for my company. However, before I can make that commitment, I need to get over the uneasy feeling I have that "something" needs fixed within the ecosystem. I just don't know if it's software (kernel/driver/etc) or hardware. I hope AMD quickly resolves the issue - whatever it may be.

Comment

I've read on other sites that upping the voltage to the CPU helps with the stability issues behind Raven Ridge. I don't think it's a pure software problem, nearly all the motherboards that supposedly have Raven Ridge support came out a long time before Raven Ridge and the B350 and X370 might be lacking something Raven Ridge needs. As far as I can tell, only Asrock makes motherboards certified to work with Raven Ridge and those need a BIOS update before they'll recognize a M2 SSD. I've read about folks flashing their motherboards to the point where they brick up.

Ryzen 2, Pinnacle Ridge, is supposed to be released in April (https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-ryzen-2...cs-performance) and will be accompanied by a newer 400 chip set.

As much as I love to buy and play with new systems, I hate frustration and if Michael can't make them work then there is something else, wrong that needs to be addressed. We'll see how the Pinnacle Ridge does with the 400 series motherboards.

Thanks to Michael for saving me the frustration of going through what he's been through with his Raven Ridge systems; it's good he's got lots of other things to play with.

Comment

I am pleased that the Linux situation with these APU's is improving, but I am surprised that there should be so many problems. I suppose in my simplistic thoughts, this is a standard Ryzen core and a standard Vega GPU that just happens to be etched on to the same silicon die. I can imagine that there could be some remote chance of electrical interference between the GPU and CPU, or even race conditions due to both components on the same silicon. So can someone please say why there needs to be so many software fixes for what appears to be a simple combination of CPU and GPU (and why Windows does not seem to have the same issues)?

Comment

Using Ryzen 5 2500U here. Updating linux-firmware from 20180119.2a713be-1 to 20180314.4c0bf11-1 definitely improved the hangs. Had one with linux 4.16 and none yet with 4.15.

Still, KWin effects doesn't, WebGL isn't enabled and sometimes the graphics seems slow...

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
            I don't think it's a pure software problem, nearly all the motherboards that supposedly have Raven Ridge support came out a long time before Raven Ridge and the B350 and X370 might be lacking something Raven Ridge needs.
            Somewhat unlikely, these boards were designed to work with APUs from day 1 (there are non-ryzen APUs for socket AM4 and they worked from day 1), and I really doubt Ryzen APUs are that much different.

Also, ther AM4 socket is supposed to be in use for a long time, so they have already figured out what they needed to put in to make it last as long. It's not like with AM2 and AM3 where they made refreshes of the sockets later.

Comment

The problem is definitely not Linux specific!

Are there any Bios, Chipset, or Video Driver updates for the Ryzen 2500u Envy X360?     there is no support from AMD and the drivers are months behind any AMD released drivers for thier other products   This laptop plays video fine, but any high stress games or benchmarks crash it within seconds. Th...

https://community.amd.com/thread/224760

Comment

Originally posted by Ray54 View Post
                So can someone please say why there needs to be so many software fixes for what appears to be a simple combination of CPU and GPU
                The CPU and GPU actually share many components (like memory controller) and therefore have quite a bit more coordination going on than just printing a CPU and a GPU side by side. This is a SoC, an integrated system. This system also supports HMM (heterogeneous memory management) which again means they are NOT really as separate as you think.

It is also dealing with a far more powerful GPU than most Intel integrated stuff, and this makes the job more complex.

This stuff is new and was relatively rushed as it is becoming tradition for modern hardware, it needs some time to stabilize.

(and why Windows does not seem to have the same issues)?
                What gave you the impression that on Windows land all is well?
                It is not, these APUs show issues on Windows too.
                PLEASE Check out my 2 newer videos on how to exactly fix and install drivers correctly and what your mobo voltages should be set to at https://youtube.com/vi...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...stability.html

Comment

I have ridiculous screen tearing on my 2400G. Vsync doesn't seem to work no matter what. I can run games and heavy programs, and my system won't crash. But if I use KDE, the system randomly crashes regardless of the load; even when idle.
                  There are random graphical artifacts in Chrome, Chromium, and Discord. Nothing shows up in Xorg logs or dmesg, and resizing the window a couple of times fixes it.

Other than that, it's been stable enough for web development and kernel compilations.

Comment

To me it appears to be strictly kernel related, maybe not even with the GPU side. I've managed to get something fairly stable, with a hang every 3-4 hours whilst gaming.

I'm running the kernel from here : git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux - the amd-staging-drm-next branch. Don't know if this is the best kernel to use though.
                    In order to fix random crashes during boot I enabled CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU in the kernel config, and boot with it on all threads via kernel command line rcu_nocbs=0-7. It was tricky to enable though, as it was not straightforward to figure out what it needed.
                    Also needed is a kernel firmware newer than 2018-01-19.
                    Then I use ZenStates-Linux to disable C6 state, and this is what fixed most of the hangs. Now when it hangs it is always the same - graphics stops, sound plays for a short while still (even responds to actions from the game), and then everything stops. No network, no anything.
                    I'm running a 2400G with a GA-AB350N motherboard, primarily on Mageia with custom built mesa, llvm and kernel.

What is the best kernel git repository to monitor for changes? - Does CPU changes come into amd-staging-drm-next too?

Comment

Working...
                    X