Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU DC's Latest 34 Patches Provide More Fixes

Phoronix: AMDGPU DC's Latest 34 Patches Provide More Fixes

Another week, another code drop derived from AMD's internal driver code-base providing an updated DC display code stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is rather interesting news, good to see support tweaks settling down!

Comment

It still really isn't stable. I mean, the lockups and kernel panics have reduced on my setup (2400G), but whenever I use KDE (work environment), my system tends to lockup way more often. I haven't been able to really find a pattern with what's happening.
      And the screen tearing is just terrible. I brought it up in the mailing lists and filed a bug about it: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105530

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        This is rather interesting news, good to see support tweaks settling down!
        Running Ubuntu 18.04, with the almost daily updates, on my Raven Ridge laptop and it is getting real close to being installable as a primary OS. Still experimenting from a USB thumb drive but I feel confident that it will be viable as my primary OS when 18.04 goes live.

There (at least last night) is still an issue with the keyboard/track pad going dead randomly. I haven't seen that today though. It doesn't wake properly from sleep either but that isn't a big show stopper. I suspect that i will need upgrades to deal with the waking issue soon after 18.04 ships.

Now all of that said negatively I must stress that even on early release 18.04 this laptop is performing very nicely. Mind you that is operating from a cheap Sandisk thumb drive. It actually puts Windows 10 to shame. Windows can't even do two finger scrolling correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by txtsd View Post
          It still really isn't stable. I mean, the lockups and kernel panics have reduced on my setup (2400G), but whenever I use KDE (work environment), my system tends to lockup way more often. I haven't been able to really find a pattern with what's happening.
          And the screen tearing is just terrible. I brought it up in the mailing lists and filed a bug about it: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105530
          Same issues here. Random lock-ups/freezes or even gnome-session-crashes/logouts at resume from suspending, or when just turning the screen off or even when changing input channel on the AV receiver.

In the last couple of weeks, I've had quite a lot of tearing as well.

Also, after a random number of days suspending/resuming, pulseaudio is starting to crackle and having cuts (on Steam, Spotify, Netflix, Prime Video and such). Only rebooting works, as restarting pulseaudio or removing ~/.config/pulse is not enough.

I've been playing with it for 8-9 months and although generally working it is indeed really not stable at all.
          On Polaris 21/Baffin/RX 560.
          Last edited by Mez'; 21 March 2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Same issues here. Random lock-ups/freezes or even gnome-session-crashes/logouts at resume from suspending, or when just turning the screen off or even when changing input channel on the AV receiver.

In the last couple of weeks, I've had quite a lot of tearing as well.

Also, after a random number of days suspending/resuming, pulseaudio is starting to crackle and having cuts (on Steam, Spotify, Netflix, Prime Video and such). Only rebooting works, as restarting pulseaudio or removing ~/.config/pulse is not enough.

I've been playing with it for 8-9 months and although generally working it is indeed really not stable at all.
            On Polaris 21/Baffin/RX 560.
            Oh I had no idea the instability extended beyond Raven Ridge! You're experiencing screen tearing on your dGPU? I thought everything I was experiencing was Raven Ridge specific! If it started relatively recently, could you file a bug report at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/ ?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

KDE and Gnome3 desktops are buggy and never ready.
              To prevent random kernel lock ups with Ryzen, enable RCU_NOCB_CPU and boot the kernel with the rcu_nocbs=0-X command line parameter. X is the cpu thread count -1. This done in my distribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis
              afaik the rcu_nocbs=0-X command line parameter is only needed for the Zen CPUs, not for the Raven Ridge APUs.

Comment

Working...
              X