Linux 4.17 To Enable AMDGPU DC By Default For All Supported GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I had Gnome frozen again today when I resumed after work. At least this time it was only Gnome and I could get my session back after killing it via tty.

It has nothing to do with the custom kernel, I've tried many kernel variants (stable, mainline, M-Bab, Michael's) since last summer (when I got my RX 560). The Kaveri APU didn't have any problem before adding the Polaris GPU with a CIK enabled kernel, nor my previous setup (A4-3300M + HD660M laptop). Plus it's been a known issue for amdgpu until 4.15rc2 or so. It just hasn't been completely solved for setups that rely on AV receivers (not just directly to a screen). Never had trouble of that kind before.
    Is there an open bug?

PS: How do you manage to couple the Kaveri APU GPU-part with your Polaris card?
    Sorry to butt in, but I also have iGPU (Intel) and RX560 in one system. It works with BusID parameters in X config (plenty of examples on the web). Can post complete config if you need it.

Comment

PS: How do you manage to couple the Kaveri APU GPU-part with your Polaris card?
      I'm not sure what you mean by "to couple", but I just changed the option in the BIOS to leave the integrated GPU on even when a dedicated one is installed, connected one monitor to the internal GPU and the other to the dedicated one, and after that assigned the integrated GPU to the secondary seat with `loginctl attach`.

You'll probably also want to attach the soundcard corresponding to the HDMI/DP audio and a pair of keyboard and mouse to the secondary seat to make it fully functional, and after that sddm/gdm will automatically notice the second seat and launch 2 independant X/Wayland sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "to couple", but I just changed the option in the BIOS to leave the integrated GPU on even when a dedicated one is installed, connected one monitor to the internal GPU and the other to the dedicated one, and after that assigned the integrated GPU to the secondary seat with `loginctl attach`.

You'll probably also want to attach the soundcard corresponding to the HDMI/DP audio and a pair of keyboard and mouse to the secondary seat to make it fully functional, and after that sddm/gdm will automatically notice the second seat and launch 2 independant X/Wayland sessions.
        So, it means that you're using them separately for different users (hence dual seat). Each gpu (iGPU and dGPU) renders a different session. I was thinking you managed to couple them for extra power. I should have known as this (crossfire) isn't possible on Linux afaik.

Thank you for your answer in any case.

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
        Sorry to butt in, but I also have iGPU (Intel) and RX560 in one system. It works with BusID parameters in X config (plenty of examples on the web). Can post complete config if you need it.
        Are we talking about some sort of muxless system (with iGPU taking basic tasks and the dGPU handling heavy load), dual seat as discussed above, or power coupling?

Is there an open bug?
        There is one in M-bab custom dc-enabled kernel github page. https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kerne...ries/issues/29

I'd be willing to file something upstream though if someone can tell me where and how to file one.

Apport has never worked in any kind of Ubuntu version for me and therefore I cannot easily send the crashes.
        Last edited by Mez'; 20 March 2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Hi

it was not enable already by default in 4.15?
          I had at least to disable it as it was preventing me to use 2560x1080 resolution.

Comment

Are we talking about some sort of muxless system (with iGPU taking basic tasks and the dGPU handling heavy load), dual seat as discussed above, or power coupling?
            No, for now I use RX560 exclusively because iGPU can't drive my FullHD monitor @144Hz. Just needed to configure X to get that iGPU out of the way.
            Using different GPUs (with different drivers) to handle separate X screens should be possible when GLXVND is merged.
            Eventually I will play with this iGPU as a separate X screen that will be dedicated to a windows VM output (need it for work, sigh). Maybe even fit Intel's GVT in there somehow, when it hits upstream kernel and is supported by QEMU.

There is one in M-bab custom dc-enabled kernel github page. https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kerne...ries/issues/29
            I'd be willing to file something upstream though if someone can tell me where and how to file one.
            amdgpu developers seem to be active on freedesktop.org bugtracker.
            Last edited by Aleksei; 21 March 2018, 02:30 AM.

Comment

amdgpu developers seem to be active on freedesktop.org bugtracker.
              Indeed. I've skimmed through and (resume) lock-ups seem well represented and still open. No need to add to the pile.

I will file the AV receiver input channel switch lockup issue when I have time but it's probably linked.

Also, I will file something about pulseaudio crackling and cutting after some days of uptime. It can only come from amdgpu dc hdmi audio bit as I've never had this before.

Comment

So, it means that you're using them separately for different users (hence dual seat). Each gpu (iGPU and dGPU) renders a different session. I was thinking you managed to couple them for extra power. I should have known as this (crossfire) isn't possible on Linux afaik.

Thank you for your answer in any case.
                The RX 480 is powerfull enough that the CPU is the limiting factor in any game, so crossfire would not make any sense in my configuration. On the other hand, the Kaveri has enough cores that if my kid plays some casual game on the second seat it doesn't affect my frame rate on the primary one.

Comment

I am utterly confused by AMD card/driver naming and support policy.
                  May I kindly ask what is any suggested Linux OS + driver configuration for developing/running OpenCL (1.1 I guess) on an AMD Barts (HD 6850)?
                  I had a look at Airlie's work but couldn't figure out a supported config. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    If you do not know how to compile your own kernel for newer drivers, you are too stupid to use Linux.

Go back to Windows where the driver support and compatibility is way superior to what is available on Linux.
                    You literally just called yourself too stupid to use linux. Really? Do you really think that lowly of yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by flaphoronix View Post
                      I am utterly confused by AMD card/driver naming and support policy.
                      May I kindly ask what is any suggested Linux OS + driver configuration for developing/running OpenCL (1.1 I guess) on an AMD Barts (HD 6850)?
                      I had a look at Airlie's work but couldn't figure out a supported config. Thanks
                      There isn't much in the way of open source OpenCL support for pre-GCN hardware as far as I know - the code exists but I don't think it is even at 1.1 level. Best bet would probably be to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 or 14.04.2 (not one of the later HW enablement versions) and a copy of fglrx with support for that HW generation. Our driver download page recommends the 15.9 release for your needs:

Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X