Linux 4.17 To Enable AMDGPU DC By Default For All Supported GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
    I would be glad to see a tutorial on how to enable it manually with 4.15 since we won't see 4.17+ until Ubuntu 18.10.
    doesn't ubuntu have ppa for that?
    Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
    Also maybe a test on how Freesync support works and how it compares to Windows
    it is not implemented yet

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      If you do not know how to compile your own kernel for newer drivers, you are too stupid to use Linux.
      but if you do compile your own kernel instead of using kernel compiled for you by someone else, you are again too stupid

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I don't *think* there is any plan to make amdgpu (rather than radeon) the default for CI in 4.17 kernel since DC is just being enabled for the first time there. If DC-by-default works out OK and there are not any other missing features in amdgpu relative to radeon then I imagine the defaults might get switched for CI in 4.18, but that is just speculation at the moment.
        could you speculate about amdgpu by default for si?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Probably meaning suspend/resume. Which I do every day on the RX 560 with freezes every few days at resume. I am with dwagner. It's hard to get more than 3-4 days of uptime. It works when in use, yes. So if you turn on your computer for a unique AV use case and shut off after every use, shouldn't be much of a bother.

The problem is mostly random crashes when suspending/resuming or with more complex set-ups, e.g. when tied via HDMI to an AV receiver for audio and video. Switching your AV receiver input channel to another input source and back tot the computer is currently very unstable and freezes the system most of the time.

N.B: Happens for me since custom 4.11 (M-bab) with dc included up to the current 4.16-rc5.
          Interesting. I suspend/resume 1-2 times a day, no problem. I stick to stable kernels though and don't have a complex setup, just GPU -> DVI cable (now DP cable) -> 144Hz monitor. Could it be a problem with your custom kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            Talking about "HDMI/DP audio", I have an old HD6xxx AMD GPU card in my HTPC computer plugged to my A/V system with only the HDMI cable. It mostly works great, but when listening to music, when the screen goes black, the sound is cut off.

Is there an option (other than never having a black screen, I need to save my plasma display from burns...) so that sound goes through the HDMI cable even though there is no video? Or will this AMDGPU DC fix this problem?
            The audio is sent embedded in the video stream. If there is no video, there is no audio. You need video to get audio. That's one of the reasons consumer electronic devices devices never blank the display.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The audio is sent embedded in the video stream. If there is no video, there is no audio. You need video to get audio. That's one of the reasons consumer electronic devices devices never blank the display.
              Plus LCD screens won't burn in so it really doesn't matter. My screen has literally been running for the most part for years. But I suppose there is a valid power consumption argument to be made as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                He was talking about uptime. Probably meaning suspend/resume. Which I do every day on the RX 560 with freezes every few days at resume. I am with dwagner. It's hard to get more than 3-4 days of uptime. It works when in use, yes. So if you turn on your computer for a unique AV use case and shut off after every use, shouldn't be much of a bother.

The problem is mostly random crashes when suspending/resuming or with more complex set-ups, e.g. when tied via HDMI to an AV receiver for audio and video. Switching your AV receiver input channel to another input source and back tot the computer is currently very unstable and freezes the system most of the time.

N.B: Happens for me since custom 4.11 (M-bab) with dc included up to the current 4.16-rc5.
                I suspend/resume my desktop every day, and never had any problems with resuming. I rarely had problems with the system refusing to go to sleep (actually it would suspend and imediately resume). After that happend, most of the time trying again to suspend would result in a hang. I never reported this issue as I couldn't reproduce it reliably and it didn't bother me that much.

BTW, my system is also a bit peculiar, as in it's a dual-seat using both the integrated Kaveri GPU and a Polaris (RX 480). But if this works, a single card should surely work as well.

And what expectations do you have for uptime anyway? I usualy reboot my systems weekly or at least once every 2 weeks, as I don't want to run a kernel version that is older than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
                  Interesting. I suspend/resume 1-2 times a day, no problem. I stick to stable kernels though and don't have a complex setup, just GPU -> DVI cable (now DP cable) -> 144Hz monitor. Could it be a problem with your custom kernel?
                  I had Gnome frozen again today when I resumed after work. At least this time it was only Gnome and I could get my session back after killing it via tty.

It has nothing to do with the custom kernel, I've tried many kernel variants (stable, mainline, M-Bab, Michael's) since last summer (when I got my RX 560). The Kaveri APU didn't have any problem before adding the Polaris GPU with a CIK enabled kernel, nor my previous setup (A4-3300M + HD660M laptop). Plus it's been a known issue for amdgpu until 4.15rc2 or so. It just hasn't been completely solved for setups that rely on AV receivers (not just directly to a screen). Never had trouble of that kind before.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post

I suspend/resume my desktop every day, and never had any problems with resuming. I rarely had problems with the system refusing to go to sleep (actually it would suspend and imediately resume). After that happend, most of the time trying again to suspend would result in a hang. I never reported this issue as I couldn't reproduce it reliably and it didn't bother me that much.

BTW, my system is also a bit peculiar, as in it's a dual-seat using both the integrated Kaveri GPU and a Polaris (RX 480). But if this works, a single card should surely work as well.

And what expectations do you have for uptime anyway? I usualy reboot my systems weekly or at least once every 2 weeks, as I don't want to run a kernel version that is older than that.
                    I don't want or need to reboot if my system just works.

In 2011 (already on Ubuntu) I had to move, hence I was forced to unplug my workstation. It had 180+ days of uptime. I expect nothing less.

PS: How do you manage to couple the Kaveri APU GPU-part with your Polaris card?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

GNOME doesn't propose to simply send a black screen

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Plus LCD screens won't burn in so it really doesn't matter. My screen has literally been running for the most part for years. But I suppose there is a valid power consumption argument to be made as well.
                      As I've said, I have a plasma not an LCD, so my display is prone to be burned.

Comment

Working...
                      X