Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post

modinfo amdgpu
    Can you be more specific? I entered "modinfo amdgpu | grep freesync" and I don't see anything matching.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilX View Post

Can you be more specific? I entered "modinfo amdgpu | grep freesync" and I don't see anything matching.
      For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Thank you!

not helpful at all... What do you think I've done?
        There are tons to Freesync with AmdGPU-Pro, but nothing helpful to AmdGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I would say that enabling DC by default in amdgpu is a pre-requisite for enabling amdgpu by default - don't think it would make sense for them to happen together. At this point Mr Cooper usually reminds me about the other pre-requisite I'm forgetting...
          I think that on Kaveri amdgpu is already forced on by a recent change in amdkfd, therefore when I upgraded my laptop to 4.15 I lost HDMI audio, and the "fix" was to enable DC too.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilX View Post
            Thank you!

not helpful at all... What do you think I've done?
            There are tons to Freesync with AmdGPU-Pro, but nothing helpful to AmdGPU.
            There is no Freesync support yet with open drivers. This DC is not enough and is only part of the puzzle to make Freesync work, so there's no point in you wasting your time trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
              Nice to see continuous improvements in AMD opensource drivers. This is why I switched from Nvidia to AMD recently.
              Yep, AMD is certainly now the GPU brand to recommend for the vast majority of Linux use cases. Things just work easier and are well integrated with Linux. No need to tinker with manually downloading and installing nvidia blobs.

Plus the engagement we see from their devs answering questions on forums + reddit etc and the synergy we see between them and the external development community including folks from Red Hat, Valve and the public... That spirit of collaboration is just more aligned with the Linux philosophy than Nvidia is.

When I purchased my R9 290 years ago things were different. Performance was bad for AMD on Linux. I don't know how (maybe it was the formation of RTG) but they have really turned things around as far as Linux goes. Now we see continuous improvements on performance and features.
              Last edited by humbug; 17 March 2018, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                Yep, AMD is certainly now the GPU brand to recommend for the vast majority of Linux use cases. Things just work easier and are well integrated with Linux. No need to tinker with manually downloading and installing nvidia blobs.
                The efforts are laudable and for gaming or HTPC use, amdgpu is certainly useable by now.

But for any use case where uptimes longer than a few days are of importance: No way I could recommend amdgpu, yet. There are just way too frequent spontaneous crashes, even when doing completely mundane stuff (like typing text into a web form :-( ).

For the hardware I use for work, Intel's integrated GPUs are currently the only stable option I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

There is no Freesync support yet with open drivers. This DC is not enough and is only part of the puzzle to make Freesync work, so there's no point in you wasting your time trying.
                  Thank you so we have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                    I would be glad to see a tutorial on how to enable it manually with 4.15 since we won't see 4.17+ until Ubuntu 18.10.
                    I have no clue about how to set boot parameters. If you know it this may be simple.
                    But if you don't you will get a headache after a few minutes of research.

Also maybe a test on how Freesync support works and how it compares to Windows
                    If you prefer the graphical way, then there is only one real solution:

Switch over to openSUSE Tumbleweed (and stop worrying about end-of-life support), start YaST2, click on 'Bootloader' and type the necessary kernel parameter there.

Yes, it really is that simple!

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Strange how it works for me then

Code:
                      [pete@com1 ~]$ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop|grep freesync
                              freesync_capable: 1
                              freesync: 1
                      Morbis55 radeon-profile shows if you have it/enabled or not

Comment

Working...
                      X