No announcement yet.

Linux 4.17 To Enable AMDGPU DC By Default For All Supported GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't get running my father's A10-7860K on openSUSE Leap 43.2 stable, currently.
    Have to send some logs over the right way...

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
      I would be glad to see a tutorial on how to enable it manually with 4.15 since we won't see 4.17+ until Ubuntu 18.10.
      I have no clue about how to set boot parameters. If you know it this may be simple.
      But if you don't you will get a headache after a few minutes of research.

Also maybe a test on how Freesync support works and how it compares to Windows
      1. open terminal, write "sudo nano /etc/default/grub" (without quotes), press return.
      2. navigate to "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" line using arrow keys and add parameters to the line.
      3. press ctrl+x to save file
      4. type "sudo update-grub" in the terminal to enable changes.

Comment

Hmmm...I don't see a reply button on mobile site...so anyway Thanks Bridgman for the info. Does this also mean AMDGPU will be the default now for GCN 1.1 era GPUs when I install Ubuntu 18.04 ?

Comment

Config: Polaris RX 480
          System: Debian Sid
          Kernel: Linux 4.15.0-1-amd64
          Source: /etc/default/grub

$ sudo vim /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet iommu=pt iommu=1 amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.audio=1"
          #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="text"
          #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
          # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
          # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
          #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xe fefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
          #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
          # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
          # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
          #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
          #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
          #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
          #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

$ sudo update-grub
          $ sudo reboot

Comment

Unfortunately I have serious problems with the flicker and gap of the screen with dc=1 on my RX 480 and a display with freesync support (lg 34uc88-b, displayport connection). kernel 4.15.7. I hope in 4.16 / 4.17 this will fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Hmmm...I don't see a reply button on mobile site...so anyway Thanks Bridgman for the info. Does this also mean AMDGPU will be the default now for GCN 1.1 era GPUs when I install Ubuntu 18.04 ?
              exactly what I want to know as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                I would be glad to see a tutorial on how to enable it manually with 4.15 since we won't see 4.17+ until Ubuntu 18.10.
                I have no clue about how to set boot parameters. If you know it this may be simple.
                But if you don't you will get a headache after a few minutes of research.

Also maybe a test on how Freesync support works and how it compares to Windows
                modinfo amdgpu

Comment

I don't think so, since it comes with 4.15 kernel. Probably after next upgrade (18.04.1 or 18.04.2)

Comment

Nice to see continuous improvements in AMD opensource drivers. This is why I switched from Nvidia to AMD recently.

Comment

Thanks Bridgman for the info. Does this also mean AMDGPU will be the default now for GCN 1.1 era GPUs when I install Ubuntu 18.04 ?
                      I would say that enabling DC by default in amdgpu is a pre-requisite for enabling amdgpu by default - don't think it would make sense for them to happen together. At this point Mr Cooper usually reminds me about the other pre-requisite I'm forgetting...
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X