Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Now Exposes Async Compute Support For Southern Islands

Phoronix: RADV Now Exposes Async Compute Support For Southern Islands

For those of you with a Radeon GCN 1.0 "Southern Islands" GPU, the RADV Vulkan driver support for these first Graphics Core Next graphics processors continues to be improved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Brilliant! \o/

Comment

Is there a case where there is actually positive scaling with AC and any GCN GPU on radv? It only hurts performance here in mpv with any setting, unlike with AMD's Windows driver.

Comment

And about bloody time too. Who knows, one day I may finally find what caused my r9 280x to stop displaying anything with vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Is there a case where there is actually positive scaling with AC and any GCN GPU on radv? It only hurts performance here in mpv with any setting, unlike with AMD's Windows driver.
          maybe doom on vulkan on wine ?

Comment

Good idea. However, with my RX 560 I wasn't able to determine any gain with AC in Doom on Windows, unlike with my R9 390 which I had two years back.
            (You can "toggle" async compute in Doom by switching between FXAA and TSAA/no AA.)

Comment

Cool to see new life flow back into my old AMD hardware. First, my HD 6850 gets OpenGL 4.5 and now AC graces my HD 7870!

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                Cool to see new life flow back into my old AMD hardware. First, my HD 6850 gets OpenGL 4.5 and now AC graces my HD 7870!
                Wait, when did the HD 6850 get OpenGL 4.5? I thought that fp64 wasn't done? I too have a HD 6850.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

Wait, when did the HD 6850 get OpenGL 4.5? I thought that fp64 wasn't done? I too have a HD 6850.
                  Isn't the 6850 a card with hardware fp64 support?

As for AC on GCN 1.0 cards, AFAIK support was long in coming due to bugs in the hardware implementation that need software workarounds (that's why support was temporarily disabled in Windows drivers) and hardware limitations (2 compute queues only, instead of 8).

I'll try and see if I can get back my R9 270 to see if AC does make a difference on GCN 1.0 cards - I would guess my 7770 is already taxed to the max without.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post

Isn't the 6850 a card with hardware fp64 support?
                    Nope, it's a Northern Islands, so it's not there. But the software fp64 emulation is coming along nicely and even Northern islands will have it "soon".

Comment

Working...
                    X