Even With AMDGPU DC, HDMI/DP Audio Isn't Working Out For All Radeon Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Do not waste poor APUs or any high performance computers cpu cycles to hdmi audio. Hdmi audio code is large and complex, see the source code. PC motherboards have had hifi quality analog audio outputs for a decade. Only the background music is mixed to back speakers in most of the movies, so multi channel audio is useless. Invest to a pair of good speakers.

My audio setup:
    Amplifier: S.M.S.L SA-36A Pro
    Speakers: B&W DM 601 S2
    I would really not call Audio Out from any motherboard Hi-Fi, as usually any DAC over 120$ will deliver a perceivable improvement, if the rest of the audio chain is good enough to deliver it. And regarding your audio setup, I think that the amplifier dont do justice to those speakers.

A quality stereo/binaural headphones can deliver basically as much space perception as any 5.1, 7.1,... system out there.
    Has to hear yet a 7.1 or other high speaker count audio system to deliver better sound experience as a binaural/true audio session on a good headphones or a good stereo speaker system.
    My setup is:
    Speakers: Alesis M1 active MK2
    Headphones: Audeze LCD-2.2
    DAC: DIY dac with AK4497
    Headphone amp: DIY headphone amplifier AMB Beta22
    Last edited by partizann; 21 February 2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I'd be curious to know where folk are getting these cool sound sources from? Is that what's built into 4K Blurays?

Comment

In another thread about raven ridge, Bridgman and Alex blame the device makers for the poor raven ridge support. Wasn't atombios, which DC apparently still depends on, supposed to make such OEM woes go away? Or is this one of the things not hardcoded in the BIOS? If so, where is the documentation so that users can at least attempt to fix this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
          In another thread about raven ridge, Bridgman and Alex blame the device makers for the poor raven ridge support. Wasn't atombios, which DC apparently still depends on, supposed to make such OEM woes go away? Or is this one of the things not hardcoded in the BIOS? If so, where is the documentation so that users can at least attempt to fix this issue?
          Are you still bitter about it? Jesus man, is 2018 already, time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            Software decoding existing for some (or all?) of these formats. The only film I've encountered that didn't include one of the older codecs was Ghost in the Shell. I think it was DTS-MA and VLC stuttered all over the place due to some bug that's probably fixed now. Fortunately mplayer had no trouble.
            As far as I know, the only player that supports DTS-HD Master Audio software decoding is Kodi 17, VLC can only play Dolby TrueHD (which you will find on fewer discs), Dolby Atmos or DTS-X can only pass-throughed with the Android version of Kodi and there is no software decoding yet.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Do not waste poor APUs or any high performance computers cpu cycles to hdmi audio. Hdmi audio code is large and complex, see the source code. PC motherboards have had hifi quality analog audio outputs for a decade. Only the background music is mixed to back speakers in most of the movies, so multi channel audio is useless. Invest to a pair of good speakers.

My audio setup:
              Amplifier: S.M.S.L SA-36A Pro
              Speakers: B&W DM 601 S2
              Those speakers were good stuff 15-20 years ago. Today the rubber has probably become brittle from age, and is visibly cracking when you move the elements. At least my DM603 S2 are. And technology has evolved as well. I have transitioned to active studio monitors and I am very happy with M-Audio BX5 carbon.

Comment

In another thread about raven ridge, Bridgman and Alex blame the device makers for the poor raven ridge support. Wasn't atombios, which DC apparently still depends on, supposed to make such OEM woes go away?
                What does atombios have to do with OEMs screwing up their board ROMs?

Comment

The register headers are all public and support for all of these formats is in place in the driver. I pointed out the relevant code in both the hda driver the gpu driver in the bug report. Anyone that wants to can take a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
                    Hmm...I guess I am lucky... I got no problems with sounds over HDMI on my Fury and Nano cards running Arch with 4.15.
                    So you are not dealing with HBR audio then.

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    This is something which needs to be fixed or lots users will loose interest in their APUs.
                    Exactly. APUs historically have been the stuff that HTPC people are keen on. And the newer AMD APUs are simply not an option for Linux HTPC people right now due to these sound issues.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    The register headers are all public and support for all of these formats is in place in the driver. I pointed out the relevant code in both the hda driver the gpu driver in the bug report. Anyone that wants to can take a look at it.
                    Are you referring to the sound registers? From Takashi Iwais post on the Kernel Bugzilla (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196637) it looks like this is not an ALSA issue. Intel also has HBR support in place for many years now, so this is not a general driver infrastructure thing. What do you mean by "Anyone that wants to can take a look at it"? You mean AMD folks, right? Because I've tried helping with this on the FDO bug report with some printks, but things did not really lead anywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
                      "Anyone that wants to can take a look at it"? You mean AMD folks, right?
                      i think he means anyone with problematic hardware

Comment

Working...
                      X