Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's Raven Ridge Botchy Linux Support Appears Worse With Some Motherboards/BIOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    GNU/Linux is, like, whole system created specifically for hacking and development.
    but presumably not for development of windows drivers

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      but presumably not for development of windows drivers
      Well, given we're talking about cross-platform drivers, Windows is only needed for testing/debugging the Windows-specific parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        I would have said UEFI bugs, but if it's Windows that blocks installation then it's weird. Did you try installing manually? You won't get the utility software, but the driver itself should get loaded.
        follow this http://www.howto-connect.com/manuall...er-windows-10/ and tell it to look in the folder you extracted the AMD driver in (should be C:\AMD or C:\Radeon or something like that)
        Yes I tried ... I've done about anything you can think of short of coding my own driver .... but I think the topic is a bit derailed with a Windows problem :-)

Still waiting for AMD to release a Ryzen mobile driver ... the desktop APU driver appeared days after release, the mobile is still MIA ... I wonder WHY ... exclusivity deals ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          Well, given we're talking about cross-platform drivers, Windows is only needed for testing/debugging the Windows-specific parts.
          we a talking about windows driver which was designed to be easily ported to linux. windows-specific parts are 99% of budget

Comment

• Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
            Still waiting for AMD to release a Ryzen mobile driver ... the desktop APU driver appeared days after release, the mobile is still MIA ... I wonder WHY ... exclusivity deals ?
            Use ping-wu wrote that amdgpu-pro works with the same laptop you have. Then should the adg5f drm-next-4.17-wip kernel and latest Mesa too. It might have drivers for wifi too. I am interested to tune my distribution for the Ryzen mobile, you can test it and report how it works and report missing kernel drivers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis

Comment

The OEMs generally don't want us to release a mobile driver - their preference is for us to work with them on any drivers that run on their hardware. It gets murky though when they also don't want to test a Linux driver and don't want us releasing drivers that they haven't tested.

Add-in boards are a different story - we develop a reference design and OEMs generally stick to it with the exception of things like power/clocks/cooling/connectors and VBIOS tables cover most of that - we don't normally need board-specific code outside of the VBIOS.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The OEMs generally don't want us to release a mobile driver - their preference is for us to work with them on any drivers that run on their hardware. It gets murky though when they also don't want to test a Linux driver and don't want us releasing drivers that they haven't tested.

Add-in boards are a different story - we develop a reference design and OEMs generally stick to it with the exception of things like power/clocks/cooling/connectors and VBIOS tables cover most of that - we don't normally need board-specific code outside of the VBIOS.
                This is an APU ... it does (or should) not matter that it is a laptop part, there is no difference in that regard to a desktop APU ... so the missing drivers are somewhat bugging me ...

Comment

This is an APU ... it does (or should) not matter that it is a laptop part, there is no difference in that regard to a desktop APU ... so the missing drivers are somewhat bugging me ...
                  APUs are controlled by the motherboard and bios and laptop motherboards are non standard and bioses are stripped down compared to desktop motherboards. User ping-wu wrote that amdgpu-pro works with the same laptop you have. Then should the adg5f drm-next-4.17-wip kernel and latest Mesa too.

You have plenty of Linux drivers and kernel config options to try. Whining does not help you.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                    I'm having trouble reconciling these two statements. In your first post you are asking for a mobile driver as a separate thing from desktop driver, but in the second post you are saying they should be the same anyways... what am I missing ?

Note that laptops & desktops do tend to differ quite a bit in terms of BIOS details - as debianxfce said the laptop bios option set is usually stripped down, but you also tend to see more vendor-specific customization in laptop SBIOS/VBIOS which can require vendor-specific driver changes as well.

Comment

• The vendor specific part doesn't change between driver releases. So if the driver were sufficiently modular, one part could be updated without the other. Like AMD already provides separate downloads of CF game profiles.

Also I think there would be nothing preventing AMD from merging the vendor specific code back into the generic driver and let users choose between vendor driver (supported) and the generic one (unsupported, click-through warning: use at your own risk).

Comment

Working...
                      X