No announcement yet.

openSUSE Tumbleweed RX Vega 56 hardware acceleration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

libdrm-amdpgu1 is installed. Google wasn't of help either.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianP View Post
      libdrm-amdpgu1 is installed. Google wasn't of help either.
      Egl needs these packages in Debian:
      https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libegl

Most notable are: libegl1-mesa-drivers, libegl1-mesa

Comment

I am testing tumbleweed kde live from a samsung class 10 microsd card. It uses xf86-video-modesetting instead the amdgpu driver. Hw accelerated graphics is present: Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS: 40.3
        Score: 1016
        Min FPS: 12.5
        Max FPS: 78.9
        System

Platform: Linux 4.15.1-1-default x86_64
        CPU model: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor (3193MHz) x12
        GPU model: Unknown GPU (256MB) x1
        Settings

Render: OpenGL
        Mode: 1920x1080 fullscreen
        Preset Custom
        Quality Ultra
        Tessellation: Disabled
        Code:
        [email protected]:~> glxinfo | grep OpenGL
        No protocol specified
        OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
        OpenGL renderer string: Radeon RX 560 Series (POLARIS11 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.1-1-default,
        LLVM 5.0.1)
        OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.0-rc3
        OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
        OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
        OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
        OpenGL core profile extensions:
        OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.0-rc3
        OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
        OpenGL context flags: (none)
        OpenGL extensions:
        OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.0.0-rc3
        OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
        OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Comment

I tried using Tumbleweed KDE Live on a USB stick and have the exact same output. OpenGL vendor is still VMware and not X.Org (for whatever reasons) ...

Comment

It can be llvm 5. Tumbleweed does have a mesa git repository:https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...ne_repository/

Try also with a single monitor and via the HDMI connector.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

But you wrote: 02-05-2018, 02:35 AM
              "Mystery solved.

I had to build Mesa against a newer version of LLVM. I tried LLVM 5.0 from Buster's repos manually installed which worked before someone pointed out that the LLVM project provides their own official repos for Debian. I then switched to that and rebuilt Mesa against LLVM 7.0.

In both cases, the newer LLVM allowed for my Vega 64 to finally light up and provide hardware 3D through Mesa.ยจ
              You may not have understood what you quoted. I wrote that 5.0 worked fine and then I tried 7.0 which also worked fine.

"I tried LLVM 5.0 from Buster's repos manually installed which worked"
              "In both cases, the newer LLVM allowed for my Vega 64 to finally light up and provide hardware 3D through Mesa."

I only went to a newer LLVM so that I could be as current as possible and reap any performance benefits that might be had. LLVM 5.0 works great.

By the way, this ended up being unimportant in my case. I still have this in the kernel log each time I boot despite having working 3D:

[ 17.491] EGL_MESA_drm_image required.
              [ 17.492] (EE) AMDGPU(0): glamor detected, failed to initialize EGL
              I assume this impacts the desktop experience or something, but it seems to have no impact on games. I assume at least some of my games are EGL based instead of GLX, so I think everything is fine.
              Last edited by Particle; 02-12-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Particle View Post
                You may not have understood what you quoted. I wrote that 5.0 worked fine and then I tried 7.0 which also worked fine.
                If so, then Vega users can use Debian Sid with experimental Mesa 18-rc4 packages and a custom kernel from: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...-next-4.17-wip
                No need to compile Mesa, 32-bit Mesa packages are there and Steam works too. Easier is to use my distribution where the kernel and Steam is installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis

Comment

There is a guy who has a repo with latest llvm and mesa packages, for Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed, you could try his repo:

https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...me:/forkbomb:/

named "turboAMD", he has a stable and latest stuff branch in his repo.

Though, you try this at your own risk to include an external repo to your system.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernseher View Post
                    There is a guy who has a repo with latest llvm and mesa packages, for Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed, you could try his repo:
                    I did post that repo here at 02-10-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernseher View Post

https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...me:/forkbomb:/

named "turboAMD", he has a stable and latest stuff branch in his repo.

Though, you try this at your own risk to include an external repo to your system.
                      That worked for me, followed these instructions: https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...ne_repository/
                      Switch to turboAMD packages, kept kwin and plasma5-workspace packages (broke dependencies)
                      All still working.

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                      OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                      OpenGL renderer string: Radeon RX Vega (VEGA10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.3-1.gf95ae55-default, LLVM 7.0.0)
                      OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.1.0-devel
                      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
                      OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                      OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                      OpenGL core profile extensions:
                      OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.1.0-devel
                      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                      OpenGL context flags: (none)
                      OpenGL extensions:
                      OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.1.0-devel
                      OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10

RimWorld starts now, yay!

Comment

Working...
                      X