Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 8.10 / Ubuntu 8.10 - no X display on X1550

SYSTEM
    I just put a fresh installation of Ubuntu 8.10 on my server/mediabox with a new (repurposed) video card, an ATI X1550 (MSI RX1550-TD256EH). System is an Athlon64 X2 3500+, on an MSI K9N6SGM-V motherboard. Chipset is Nvidia MCP61. Standard Ubuntu 8.10 installed from CD, Xorg 7.4, xserver 1.5.2.

Everything works perfectly out of the box on the default radeon driver, no display issues whatsoever. Comes up immediately in 1920x1080. The display is a 37" Westinghouse HD monitor (LVM-37W3SE), connected via DVI.

PROBLEM
    Installing fglrx using the Ubuntu restricted driver panel goes without a hitch until reboot... display comes up with the Ubuntu scrolling "loading" bar and then goes blank when X starts up. The system is running, X just isn't displaying to screen. Dropping to console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 works fine, and I am able to run sudo aticonfig --initial -f, which writes properly to xorg.conf. Rebooting brings me right back to the blank screen problem.

Running fglrxinfo from console returns an error, it says " Error: Unable to open display (null) ".

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Or suggestions on what I should try next?

WILD GUESS
    Here's a bit of info that may or may not be relevant... The graphics card is in the PCIe 16x slot, but on this motherboard it only functions to 8x... the documentation for the board indicates that it doesn't work with certain ATI cards for that reason, but this series isn't listed as one of the cards with a problem. I'm not sure if this is related? Possibly the radeon driver runs in 1x (or variable) mode and fglrx tries to force to 16x? I'm just throwing out wild guesses here.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Porter

EDIT - Here are the logfiles requested later in the thread:
    Last edited by Porter; 09 November 2008, 11:43 AM.

can you get a copy of the following files...

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
    /var/log/dmesg
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and the output of the command,
    lspci

all of these will be very useful in diagnosing the issue.

Comment

I will asap, I'll be back in ~2hrs.

Comment

I have the identical problem!
        However, my machine is a DELL XPS710 with two NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS in SLI configuration. 8.04 worked like a charm.

Comment

re:Error: Unable to open display (null)

running fglrxinfo from VT console should not give info because you are not logged in to X (so no DISPLAY variable is set)

running a PCIe 16x card as PCIe 8x should not make a difference in this case. the PCIe standard requires this be supported.

try running top to see what Xorg CPU usage is. (%CPU and whether it is user or system)
          Last edited by spikethehobbitmage; 06 November 2008, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ami G View Post
            I have the identical problem!
            However, my machine is a DELL XPS710 with two NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS in SLI configuration. 8.04 worked like a charm.
            I would venture to say that it is NOT an identical problem, since you're not using an ATI card. Best of luck with your own issues, though!

Comment

Originally posted by spikethehobbitmage View Post
              running fglrxinfo from VT console should not give info because you are not logged in to X (so no DISPLAY variable is set)

running a PCIe 16x card as PCIe 8x should not make a difference in this case. the PCIe standard requires this be supported.

try running top to see what Xorg CPU usage is. (%CPU and whether it is user or system)
              Ubuntu runs X in the background even when at the recovery console... fglrxinfo has always worked for me when dropping to console using Ctrl+Alt+F1, in Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10.

I will run top and get back with you... sorry for the delay, the system in question is at home and I am at the office at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

All distros run X if you are at runlevel 5, even when you are at VT 1. You have to boot to single mode, or customize another runlevel (usually 4) and boot to that to not start it.

That is odd that dropping to console keeps your DISPLAY setting. It shouldn't, especially if you haven't logged in to X. Sounds like Ubuntu is hard coding it, which means their X login system isn't set up right.

try
                fglrxinfo -display :0.0

This shouldn't work because if you haven't logged in to X, because you don't have a magic cookie yet. If it does, Ubuntu is doing some very broken things security-wise...

Comment

You've completely lost me there. Sorry for my ignorance... I'm just not clear on what "should" or should not be.

I'll be right back with the previously requested logfile details and etc.
                  Last edited by Porter; 07 November 2008, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Here are the requested logfiles, etc:
                    Thanks for any help you can provide!
                    Last edited by Porter; 07 November 2008, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X