Trying Out RadeonSI NIR With Some OpenGL Linux Games On Mesa 18.1-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you recall incorrectly. there is no performance drop from windows to linux. there are some bad ports though
    More or less, this....

Actually, the "bad ports" are because of middleware translation layers that don't even bother trying to duplicate the behavior of the windows libraries they translate from. They try to do direct 1 to 1 translations into opengl, but opengl does not behave at all like directx and most ports don't behave correctly because of it.

EDIT: Also wine is just as equally guilty of the same thing.
    Last edited by duby229; 31 January 2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

That's definitely not true. It's just the easiest way forward and has the benefit of standardizing some code in common with Intel.

You could use a SPIR-V -> LLVM IR pass directly, for example, or write new code to translate SPIR-V into TGSI, even if that would require extending TGSI further.
      I'm not too interested in debating this, but SPIR-V -> LLVM IR is a bad proposition. LLVM alone can't really optimize some aspects of graphics shaders.

The slowness of the radeonsi NIR backend has nothing to do with NIR. It's just an indication that radeonsi NIR support is incomplete, and the NIR->LLVM code that RADV uses isn't up to par with radeonsi. We know very well what the differences between the TGSI and NIR support are, and the differences can be analyzed in an automated or semi-automated way (without benchmarking).

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Penguin View Post

Must be the case for Mesa but doesn't AMD's official Vulkan driver do SPIR-V > LLVM IR?
        It does a little more than that, but I don't know the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

I am 100% sure that the Earth-Future-Planing-Agency will pay AMD to go full Open-Source on Windows drivers to.
          OT: I wish your endeavor the very best. Do you have any links to this agency where more information is? Just as long as you guys don't have any plans to terraform the atmosphere or something silly like that. I think mother earth has a better way of returning mankind's follies to nature than mankind itself does. The earth has many different natural cycles that operate at many different time scales. No simulation could possibly be totally accurate. I think mankind should tred lightly both in it's expansion and in it's preservation. We need to consider the growth and development of so called third world nations. Open source ideology could be tremendously beneficial to them. It could allow them to break away from western NIH and develop their own systems of administration that protect the environment and allow for first world economies.
          Last edited by duby229; 03 February 2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            this earth future planing agency is not yet set up...
            also even the existence about the negotiations of this topic is secret.
            Good thing you are only posting about it on a Linux forum then
            Test signature

Comment

Working...
            X