Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dudes about new options for amdgpu on kernel 4.15.0

i want to know what are this new options on kernel 4.15:

DC support it's about hdmi suport? there are two options one for vega and raven and other for pre vega: polaris, carrizo, tonga, bonaire ,hawaii.

and other and two options on AMD librarry routines , i don't know the utility of that may be not necessary to activate , don't konw.
    is there somebody that explain to me?

thanks

i am using amd rx 470(polaris10) that is working nice right now with amdgpu

Last edited by papu; 29 January 2018, 12:12 PM.

DC is a newer implementation of the display controller code, with additional features relative to what was upstream previously for Polaris and earlier chips. The older display code was not implemented for Vega/Raven, so DC is enabled by default for those parts and AFAIK will be enabled by default for earlier parts after more testing.

IIRC you can enable DC on your 470 by using the amdgpu.dc=1 boot parameter.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      DC is a newer implementation of the display controller code, with additional features relative to what was upstream previously for Polaris and earlier chips. The older display code was not implemented for Vega/Raven, so DC is enabled by default for those parts and AFAIK will be enabled by default for earlier parts after more testing.

IIRC you can enable DC on your 470 by using the amdgpu.dc=1 boot parameter.

i have it activated on kernel i not see any information in dmesg and neither if write amdgpu.dc=1 in boot parametres.

Comment

Originally posted by papu
        i have it activated on kernel i not see any information in dmesg and neither if write amdgpu.dc=1 in boot parametres.
        Can you pastebin your dmesg output and put a link here ? If DAL/DC is enabled I think you should see a couple of DAL messages -- or they might only appear with debug level cranked up a bit.

BTW if you rebuild the kernel with the config option changed then you don't need the boot parm - the amdgpu.dc=1 option is there for cases where you did not build the kernel with DC enabled by default on your hardware.
        Last edited by bridgman; 29 January 2018, 08:34 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

dmesg --> http://dpaste.com/0TNQERV

and what about this other two options?

Last edited by papu; 29 January 2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papu View Post
            and what about this other two options?
            Just for debugging.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Just for debugging.
              then i am going to disable them.

Comment

new dmesg ---> http://dpaste.com/0A05FT1

i activated more options and i see some new stuff like [drm] DM_PPLIB: and [drm] DC: , but i not have idea what are the diference now and before

have i to activate at the same time AMD DC - Enable now display engine and DC support for Polaris and older ASIC's?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by papu View Post
                  new dmesg ---> http://dpaste.com/0A05FT1

i activated more options and i see some new stuff like [drm] DM_PPLIB: and [drm] DC: , but i not have idea what are the diference now and before

have i to activate at the same time AMD DC - Enable now display engine and DC support for Polaris and older ASIC's?
                  The new dmesg looks right. There are some firmware loading error messages in both old and new dmesg output, but they may just be warnings since the ring tests seem to be passing properly.

AFAIK you do need to have both options enabled - DC itself and DC for Polaris & older. If you just enable DC then I believe you only get it for Vega and Raven, where the older code is not available.
                  Test signature

Comment

my amdgpu firmewares are loading fine , but i not understand why the kernel are trying to find firmwares in directorys that not exist in my system
                    like /lib/firmware/updates or /lib/firmware/4.15.0-gentoo

Code:
                    $ ls -l /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ | grep polaris10
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   8852 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_ce_2.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   8832 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_ce.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 130228 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_k_smc.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  32708 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_mc.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  17044 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_me_2.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  17024 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_me.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 262824 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_mec2_2.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 262824 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_mec_2.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 262784 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_mec2.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 262784 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_mec.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  17044 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_pfp_2.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  17024 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_pfp.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  23984 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_rlc.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12692 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_sdma1.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12692 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_sdma.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 130196 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_smc.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 130196 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_smc_sk.bin
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 375424 30 gen 20:46 polaris10_uvd.bin
                    what does the parametre "[drm] DM_PPLIB:" mean?
                    Last edited by papu; 30 January 2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X