Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPUVM Discrete GPU Code For AMDKFD, Radeon Compute Could Be Ready For Linux 4.17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the lastest rocm you can use the normal kernels.
    Tested with rx 480 on ubuntu 16.04 and kernel.4.13 from ubuntu repo
    Ethminer works, caffe neural network works, you can use oibaf or other ppas to get opengl 4.5 and vulkan. Also overdrive oc works.

Great work all AMD devs, specually to gstoner and his team (rocm)

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Annnnnnnd.....we're STILL waiting.
      It will be a while ... at least until Ethereum switches to Proof of Stake. Then there will probably be a flood of cheap (ab)used cards. Unlikely though, as there will be other coins to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

In fairness, KFD code for APUs has been upstream for a couple of years already, although we didn't make it easy to find matching userspace code.
        Speaking of finding the userspace code... any hint, where I should look for sources for libhsa-amd-aqlprofile64.so? It is part of the Ubuntu binary driver package, in the hsa-amd-aqlprofile_1.0.0_amd64.deb package, but I cannot find any repo with sources. The only reference is hsa-rocr/ROCR-Runtime dlopening it. Any directions would be appreciated.

(I'm trying to build the userland portion on different distribution).

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
          With the lastest rocm you can use the normal kernels.
          Tested with rx 480 on ubuntu 16.04 and kernel.4.13 from ubuntu repo
          Ethminer works, caffe neural network works, you can use oibaf or other ppas to get opengl 4.5 and vulkan. Also overdrive oc works.

Great work all AMD devs, specually to gstoner and his team (rocm)
          Does Blender recognize it?

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post
            Speaking of finding the userspace code... any hint, where I should look for sources for libhsa-amd-aqlprofile64.so?
            I forwarded the question to a few people in the ROC runtime team.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              So...I would guess sometime in 2019 4.17 will be out ( stable that is ). 8 years. 8 LONG years of waiting for the dream AMD set forth in 2011 with the release of the AMD Fusion APUs and the larger idea of Heterogeneous Computing.

Better late than never. Now if we can only get OpenCL up to snuff and better supported.
              4.15 should be released today, ~3 week merge window + 7 weekly RCs puts us to around july/august for 4.17.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Does Blender recognize it?
                It does recognize it, can select it, but there are errors when trying to use for "Cycles" renderer.

Comment

I forwarded the question to a few people in the ROC runtime team.
                  Also users can ask questions on github issues, they are responsive https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/issues

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post
                    Speaking of finding the userspace code... any hint, where I should look for sources for libhsa-amd-aqlprofile64.so? It is part of the Ubuntu binary driver package, in the hsa-amd-aqlprofile_1.0.0_amd64.deb package, but I cannot find any repo with sources. The only reference is hsa-rocr/ROCR-Runtime dlopening it. Any directions would be appreciated.
                    OK, subject to confirmation next week here is what I found out:

1. The aqlprofile package is an optional one, used to generate packets with PM4 code for use with the profiler - ROCR checks for it at start but runs fine without it (might be worth checking on your current system)

2. We do not yet have approval to release source code - waiting to hear back on status
                    Test signature

Comment

OK, subject to confirmation next week here is what I found out:

1. The aqlprofile package is an optional one, used to generate packets with PM4 code for use with the profiler - ROCR checks for it at start but runs fine without it (might be worth checking on your current system)

2. We do not yet have approval to release source code - waiting to hear back on status
                      Thank you for the info.

I suspected it is for profiler support (with such a name ); for users it is not important, but for developers it is. Meanwhile, I will try packaging without it, and without cxlactivitylogger, but looking forward for eventual releasing of their sources.

Comment

Working...
                      X