Doom 2016 Vulkan Radv missing textures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doom 2016 Vulkan Radv missing textures

I got Doom 2016 to run on my Mint 18.3 setup using Oibaf PPA and AMDGPU. It starts up but there's a lot of dark or missing textures. A lot of things are showing up as black. You can make out what's going on but otherwise mostly dark black textures. My GPU is a Radeon HD 7850. Anyone have any idea why?

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like.

Comment

Just that I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue and this is the first time I got it working. I'm using sarnex Wine-staging for this.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Doom 2016 does cost 30 euros in Steam, no wonder you have not heard anyone playing it with Vulkan and wine-staging. Vulkan API for wine is quite a new thing:https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...an-ICD-Patches

Make a bug report for the wine Vulkan API developer. Because the game is so expensive, reporting a bug may have no effect.
        It worked fine for this user a year ago.

Doom 2016 running on Ubuntu with Vulkan via Wine!A big thanks to Oleg Suchilov a.k.a thevoidnn a.k.a ENABLE^ for getting the bCrypt patch functionality for W...

Comment

You could try all possible workarounds, here is one from a RX560 user:
          https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...stingId=100498
          Already running with that fix. Otherwise I couldn't even start the game. OpenGL would create "FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed". I'm gonna copy my Doom installation to my Windows machine to make sure nothing is wrong with the files. Just to make sure.

Comment

There plenty of similar games in a genre. If some game does not work, play other game that works. I did play Doom DOS version with my work mates so much in our company LAN in nineties that I feel fps games are boring. The OpenArena game is similar than DOOM and you can find it from the Debian repository.
            That's a terrible solution to this problem.

Comment

Doom 2016 is a windows game so the problem is in wine and vulkan/directX API implementation. The Watch Dogs dx11 game have same problem, game works but almost everything is black. The mini-map works, so you can game blindly.
              You should think before you answer - Doom is an OpenGL/ Vulkan game. Wine implements a passthrough for OpenGL (i.e. Windows OpenGL instruction are passed pretty much untouched to the Linux OpenGL driver) and something similar is being done for Vulkan. As both AMD and Nvidia each have their own driver stack for OpenGL and Vulkan that they use across all their platforms, whatever tricks Doom's developers implemented to improve performance on Windows is usually reproduced exactly on Linux/Wine... Provided you use the same driver stack.

Now, since Dukenukemx uses Oibaf's repository on an AMD card, he uses neither Nvidia's nor AMD's OpenGL or Vulkan stacks - he uses Mesa's MesaGL implementation of OpenGL, and RADV's implementation of Vulkan. For OpenGL, there are 2 main differences:
              • it is much more specification-compliant (that's a dig at Nvidia, all right, but AMD's proprietaryu stack isn't without guilt either)
              • it doesn't implement compatibility profiles (yet)
              For Vulkan, RADV is just not as complete an implementation as AMDVLK - yet.

Solution: wait a bit, regularly update to the latest Wine-staging and PPA builds. It is currently being worked on both sides. Another solution would be to install the proprietary AMDGPU-PRO driver and play the game in Vulkan, again, using a dedicated build of Wine.

Comment

There plenty of similar games in a genre. If some game does not work, play other game that works. I did play Doom DOS version with my work mates so much in our company LAN in nineties that I feel fps games are boring. The OpenArena game is similar than DOOM and you can find it from the Debian repository.
                Open Arena doesn't always work correctly. Most common issue is the game is super dark as the gamma setting doesn't work (as with quake1/quake2 engine under Windows 9x if you didn't have a good OpenGL driver. Updating to a driver from 2001 or 2002 would fix it)
                It's a nightmare on non-QWERTY : you have to remap things but weapons keys fail, console can't be open.
                It may also fail to run at 60 fps on mid 2000s low end hardware.

Although I may certainly try it on Ubuntu 18.04 (in a few monthes) to see if the newer linux, xorg, mesa make it more robust and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  That's a terrible solution to this problem.
                  Sure. It's not even a singleplayer game
                  The Atari 2600 version of Battlezone is decent, you'll have seen it all in 5 minutes but it was well done. There's Pole Position for racing.

Comment

Did you not read news today, no more wine-staging releases unless some one else take care of it.
                    Well, because Wine-stable doesn't support Vulkan at all, while Wine-staging does - and has a new maintainer

Comment

Working...
                    X