Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon R600 Gallium3D Driver Nearly At OpenGL 4.5, Remaining Bits Being Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon R600 Gallium3D Driver Nearly At OpenGL 4.5, Remaining Bits Being Finished

Phoronix: Radeon R600 Gallium3D Driver Nearly At OpenGL 4.5, Remaining Bits Being Finished

It didn't happen in time for the upcoming Mesa 18.0, but the R600 Gallium3D driver for supporting pre-GCN AMD Radeon graphics processors is now nearly at OpenGL 4.5 compliance! A needed OpenGL 4.4 extension is now scratched off the list completing the necessary extensions to effectively have GL 4.5, assuming it can pass the conformance test suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn, so much progress in so little time. That's some impressive work there.

Comment

Thanks for working on r600g, Dave
      There is still users of this hardware who will continue to use in coming years, so your work is very appreciated.

If you find time for this, please look into couple of r600g issues:

Comment

Michael, fire up Catalyst 15.9 and do comparison

On utter stable Debian 8, it is available in main non-free repo, works on clickete click - no intervention needed
        Last edited by dungeon; 25 January 2018, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          There is still users of this hardware who will continue to use in coming years, so your work is very appreciated.
          ...especially considering what GPUs are selling for, these days.

Comment

good work, some week 3d apps need ogl 4 and run in these cards without problems even my old hd 4890 1 ghz edition can have use for ogl 4

Comment

Looking forward to try this in some months with an old HD 4870 card. Great to see this much progress!

Comment

Maybe it's time to go and dust off my two old 4850 cards and take them for a spin!
                I do regret though that I did buy the 512MB variant instead of the 1GB variant back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                  At the moment OpenGL 4.x with R600g is only advertised for Radeon HD 5800 and HD 6900 series graphics cards. Other hardware at the moment is limited to OpenGL 3.3 due to not having ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 support.
                  I think some of the pre-GCN APUs (Trinity/Richland) are also capable of FP64 computation in hardware.
                  Originally posted by johanb View Post
                  Maybe it's time to go and dust off my two old 4850 cards and take them for a spin!
                  I think most new features are Evergreen+ so no dice for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    Thanks for working on r600g, Dave

If you find time for this, please look into couple of r600g issues:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100953
                    Did you try R600_DEBUG=nosb? For me this helped with a lockup in Alien Isolation. Also for the second bug it could help, because sb sometimes clobbers the shader (i.e. some piglits that pass without sb fail when it is enabled).

Comment

Working...
                    X