No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Firmware Blobs Updated For Video Encode/Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every firmware update leads to a discussion if it needs to be open source or not. That's just wasted time. As long as it can be shipped legally in binary form it is ok for me. If you want everything open then it is impossibe to use 99 % of current standard hardware. If the firmware is stored inside the device already you gain nothing. It is still required to operate.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
      @AMD devs: Since no one seems to have a clue how that's supposed to work: Could you please post the command needed to make use of AMD VCE while using OBS and custom ffmpeg-output or provice a propper plugin for that?
      I dont know about OBS but here is the command i use in terminal I also use debian sid with 4.15 rc8 kernel and mesa 17.3.3 ffmpeg 3.4.1 from deb-mulit. I have a rx480 4gb
      Code:
      ffmpeg -y -i "input file" -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -filter:v 'format=nv12,hwupload' -acodec copy -vcodec h264_vaapi -profile:v 578 -b:v 5M -minrate 5M -bf 0 "output file"
      I use winff an created some profile to encode to mp4 or mkv

Code:
      mp4
      -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -vf 'format=nv12,hwupload' -acodec libfdk_aac -vcodec h264_vaapi -profile:v 578 -b:v 5M -minrate 5M -bf 0
      mkv
      -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -vf 'format=nv12,hwupload' -acodec copy -vcodec h264_vaapi -profile:v 578 -b:v 5M -minrate 5M -bf 0
      Last edited by blisbell; 20 January 2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Getting into a battle over semantics is missing the point. There's certain IP they legally can't open source (e.g. DRM and maybe some 3rd party IP they licensed), and certain IP where opensourcing it would potentially give away too much to their current & future competition.

If you want them to opensource (some of) the firmware, then you should focus on making a very business-friendly case why it's worth the effort and loss of trade secrets - not trying to argue the point on semantics or principle. I expect you'll have a very hard time making this case.

As others have pointed out, you can always make your own GPUs and opensource as much as you want. Good luck finding investors.
        No it's not, hardware is hardware and software is software. Look I don't think AMD's firmware should be open soured. Well at least I don't think it -needs- to be. It probably wouldn't hurt if it was open sourced as long as AMD continued to support it just as much as they are now... But that isn't what's important. I believe back in 2007 or so Atombios proved that it isn't important to open source firmware. What's important is that the firmware makes developing open source drivers feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          You are being a bit irrational. These days entire chips are defined in software, you dont expect AMD to publish the keys to the business do you? Firmware is very similar in that it would impact business viability if released.

I mightbhave some sympathy for your views but i not believe you have a chance in hell of doing anything usefull with the code. This mainly because you dont have the details to understand what is happening at the RTL level. In a nut shell i dont think you have a clue as to what you are asking for.

I didn't ask for anything, except that firmware itself is software and not hardware. I don't think it needs to be open sourced. In fact I believe the only reason we have open source drivers this advanced is because AMD developed their firmware the way they did.

Comment

Michael i need to put my hat into the raven based ring. I got a HP ENVY just after Christmas, to replace a stolen 13" MBP and must say im impressed for the first time in years with an AMD laptop.
            Do they still cripple their AMD line of products by not having dual channel RAM?

Comment

it sounds like these updates solve my "bad sound quality problem". Will make more tests soon to confirm.
              ( https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101900 )

Comment

you dont expect AMD to publish the keys to the business do you? Firmware is very similar in that it would impact business viability if released.
                How so?

There is firmware disassembler: https://github.com/fail0verflow/rade...ree/master/f32
                How access to firmware source, that everyone now have, affected AMD business to this date?

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
                  How hard are these blobs to reverse engineer? How large are they? I have a feeling these companies are forced to include these types of things.
                  It is possible to reverse engineer, the fail0verflow people did this as part of getting Linux to run on the PS4. There was also an earlier effort to reverse engineer Adreno firmware, which turned out to be very similar to R600 firmware (but diverged in later hardware).

But in 33c3 PS4 talk, it was mentioned that their reverse engineering efforts were met with outright hostility from the radeon/amdgpu developers.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I agree fully. It's not hardware, but it is what programs hardware to put it in a useful state.
                  Actually, it is a bit more than that. The firmware runs on the various command processors inside the GPU, which are scheduling GPU tasks, performing DMA, and so on. The firmware itself makes complex decisions at runtime, and it is not limited to initialization. With current GPUs, you are looking at 2 MB+ of binary code.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Heh, definitions have always been not as precise as you make them look like here.

Fixed logic circuits (i.e. pure non-programmable ICs, no ROMs no microcodes) store the logic in the shape of the circuit itself, would that count as "bits are stored in a medium"?
                  If it is reprogrammable, it is software. If it is not reprogrammable, it is hardware.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  no more than hardware is software
                  Whether it is software or not is independent from the question which one of the many processors in your system executes the instructions.

Getting into a battle over semantics is missing the point. There's certain IP they legally can't open source
                  Can't? They don't want to!

As others have pointed out, you can always make your own GPUs and opensource as much as you want. Good luck finding investors.
                  As far as I know, FSF has some recommendations for hardware that ships without proprietary software, so as long as that is easy enough to buy, there is no need to build your own.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Every firmware update leads to a discussion if it needs to be open source or not. That's just wasted time. As long as it can be shipped legally in binary form it is ok for me.
                  And some people are fine with proprietary drivers. Heck, some people are fine with entire proprietary operating systems! You have to draw the line somewhere, and if one's line is at "no proprietary software on my computer", then the AMD microcode is unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    Whether it is software or not is independent from the question which one of the many processors in your system executes the instructions.
                    wrong. there is processor executing instructions in each keyboard, mouse, hdd or monitor. and nobody treat them as software because from host operating system pov they are hardware black boxes

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      wrong. there is processor executing instructions in each keyboard, mouse, hdd or monitor. and nobody treat them as software because from host operating system pov they are hardware black boxes
                      Heh, so a device only contains software if you know it contains software. I see what you did there.

Comment

Working...
                      X