Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R600g "Soft" FP64 Shows Signs Of Life, Enabling Older GPUs To Have OpenGL 4 In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

It would be mostly useless if someone spent all that effort to do a Vulkan driver for HD 5000/6000 since most games have a GL renderer complementing Vulkan (even with RADV right now it still generally trails RadeonSI performance and any older Vulkan driver would see even less work than RADV so would likely be much slower than R600g) and any Vulkan-only game likely is too demanding for running on HD 5000/6000 class hardware.
    The only Vulkan games I'm trying to use is Dolphin and RPCS3. Both of which run already with OpenGL. And we know Doom 2016 runs on the HD 6850 which is what I own. Doom 2016 is going to run on the Nintendo Switch which isn't exactly a powerful machine.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    A couple questions:
    1. Will this reflect OpenCL? Keep in mind, compute tasks are what demand FP64 the most.
    2. What exactly is processing the FP64? Is the CPU taking the load? Because if so, I imagine the performance would be so bad that you might as well just use SWR, softpipe, llvmpipe, or whatever. Though, I suppose that also depends on the task being calculated.

If Arlie can manage to get R600 to have at least 1/16 FP64 performance, that'd be incredible. That'd breathe new life in some of this old hardware I have currently running on fglrx.
    The soft FP64 support is implemented in GLSL so on the GPU.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    A couple questions:
    1. Will this reflect OpenCL? Keep in mind, compute tasks are what demand FP64 the most.
    2. What exactly is processing the FP64? Is the CPU taking the load? Because if so, I imagine the performance would be so bad that you might as well just use SWR, softpipe, llvmpipe, or whatever. Though, I suppose that also depends on the task being calculated.

If Arlie can manage to get R600 to have at least 1/16 FP64 performance, that'd be incredible. That'd breathe new life in some of this old hardware I have currently running on fglrx.

Leave a comment:

• gerddie
    replied
    Originally posted by marvin42 View Post
    Now someone needs to implement tessellation shaders using glsl, e.g.
    http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get...FULLTEXT01.pdf
    What exactly do you mean? The document you are linking to is from 2010. OpenGL defines tesselation shaders. and R600 supports them.

Leave a comment:

• marvin42
    replied
    Now someone needs to implement tessellation shaders using glsl, e.g.

Leave a comment:

• marvin42
    replied
    Originally posted by Leopard View Post
    Which cards expected to get this treatment?

Even HD3xxx , HD4xxx?
    any card that is supported by r600 (down to HD2000?)

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

It would be mostly useless if someone spent all that effort to do a Vulkan driver for HD 5000/6000 since most games have a GL renderer complementing Vulkan (even with RADV right now it still generally trails RadeonSI performance and any older Vulkan driver would see even less work than RADV so would likely be much slower than R600g) and any Vulkan-only game likely is too demanding for running on HD 5000/6000 class hardware.
    Not everyone has a xeon, radv at least on lower CPUs seems to win out,

But apart from Cayman I doubt a Vulkan driver would be worth it.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by artivision View Post
    Anyone interested to back-port Vulkan for HD5-6 series?

Leave a comment:

• Leopard
    replied
    Which cards expected to get this treatment?

Even HD3xxx , HD4xxx?

Leave a comment:

• artivision
    replied
    Anyone interested to back-port Vulkan for HD5-6 series?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X