Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R600g "Soft" FP64 Shows Signs Of Life, Enabling Older GPUs To Have OpenGL 4 In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600g "Soft" FP64 Shows Signs Of Life, Enabling Older GPUs To Have OpenGL 4 In 2018

Phoronix: R600g "Soft" FP64 Shows Signs Of Life, Enabling Older GPUs To Have OpenGL 4 In 2018

Most pre-GCN AMD graphics cards are still limited to OpenGL 3.3 support at this time due to not supporting FP64. Only the HD 5800/6900 series on R600g currently have real double-precision floating-point support working right now so at present they are on OpenGL 4.3 rather than 3.3, but those other generations may be catching up soon thanks to the "soft" FP64 code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As of https://mesamatrix.net/
    there is

only
    GL_ARB_query_buffer_object
    to achieve GLSL 4.40 comaptibility

and additional
    GL_KHR_robustness
    to meet GLSL 4.50 comaptibility

And thre is not fulll support of GLSL 4.60 in mesa,yet...

Comment

Hm why does enabling "ARB_enhanced_layouts for R600g" also enable it for swr and freedreno? (at mesamatrix)

Comment

This is all good news if you're still stuck on the R600g driver in 2018.
        Yes, that's my case. But, unfortunately, forcing OpenGL 4.3 doesn't allow me to run CAT Interstellar on Steam. Time has come to change my video card, I hope Navi will rocks.

Comment

Anyone interested to back-port Vulkan for HD5-6 series?

Comment

Which cards expected to get this treatment?

Even HD3xxx , HD4xxx?

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              Anyone interested to back-port Vulkan for HD5-6 series?
              It would be mostly useless if someone spent all that effort to do a Vulkan driver for HD 5000/6000 since most games have a GL renderer complementing Vulkan (even with RADV right now it still generally trails RadeonSI performance and any older Vulkan driver would see even less work than RADV so would likely be much slower than R600g) and any Vulkan-only game likely is too demanding for running on HD 5000/6000 class hardware.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It would be mostly useless if someone spent all that effort to do a Vulkan driver for HD 5000/6000 since most games have a GL renderer complementing Vulkan (even with RADV right now it still generally trails RadeonSI performance and any older Vulkan driver would see even less work than RADV so would likely be much slower than R600g) and any Vulkan-only game likely is too demanding for running on HD 5000/6000 class hardware.
                Not everyone has a xeon, radv at least on lower CPUs seems to win out,

But apart from Cayman I doubt a Vulkan driver would be worth it.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                  Which cards expected to get this treatment?

Even HD3xxx , HD4xxx?
                  any card that is supported by r600 (down to HD2000?)

Comment

Now someone needs to implement tessellation shaders using glsl, e.g.

Comment

Working...
                    X