Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compiz + X11 video playback = true !! (with Ubuntu Catalyst version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz + X11 video playback = true !! (with Ubuntu Catalyst version)

Hi

Just wanted you to know that after I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 (which went painless) the fglrx driver Ubuntu ships with in 8.10 is really a progress. Using X11 playback with VLC, I can now watch DVDs without any scaling, pixelling or tearing effect while also having compiz running with my HD 4870 card!!!

Thanks to ATI and Ubuntu are in order!

Keep up the excellent work

System: Club3D 4870, CPU Q9550

this is good to hear, i'll give it a try on my laptop and desktop to confirm for the Radeon X1900GT and Radeon 3100.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
      this is good to hear, i'll give it a try on my laptop and desktop to confirm for the Radeon X1900GT and Radeon 3100.
      Notice from Ubuntu's Release Notes:
      ATI "fglrx" video support

The ATI video driver in 8.10 drops support for video cards with r300 based chips (the Radeon 9500 - X600 Series of cards). If you have such a card, please use "Hardware Drivers" at System/Administration to disable it before the upgrade. Please see bug 284408 for more information
      So for those having the r300 chips, I guess googling a bit befoer upgrading is recommended...

Comment

onlidor, i recommend going to the open source radeon driver if you have one of those older series of cards, considering the support for those is fairly good right now.

Comment

onlidor, i recommend going to the open source radeon driver if you have one of those older series of cards, considering the support for those is fairly good right now.
          I agree. My experience with my old computer and x1650 AGP is that it only worked with ati open source driver.

Comment

I just checked to see about the compiz stuff... this is actually well known that the X11 without XV output works right on the closed source ati driver.

what's bugged, is the XVideo extension which uses hardware acceleration on video playback.

Comment

I just checked to see about the compiz stuff... this is actually well known that the X11 without XV output works right on the closed source ati driver.

what's bugged, is the XVideo extension which uses hardware acceleration on video playback.
              No, this is not correct. Because I have tried before using x11 and it did not scale well the films. You got pixellisation (films looked like 1980s gfx) and tearing. I do not get this now. The Xvideo is linked to OpenGL with the fglrx driver I think. I get the same flickering I get when using OpenGL with Xvideo when running compiz at the same time. This is due to that DRI is not capable and we need DRI2 to work..

Anyway I don't need 3D accel but 2D accel for 2D stuff like movie playback
              Last edited by oblidor; 04 November 2008, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X