Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Voltage Control Support Coming To AMDGPU Driver

Phoronix: GPU Voltage Control Support Coming To AMDGPU Driver

Patches are being prepped to improve the OverDrive overclocking/underclocking support within the AMDGPU DRM driver and for allowing voltage controls...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds good. I hope we'll get the same feature in the free drivers (unless it's already available there).

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
      Sounds good. I hope we'll get the same feature in the free drivers (unless it's already available there).
      AMDGPU is the "free" driver.... The AMDGPU kernel driver is used by both the hybrid and fully open stacks. There isn't any other kernel driver besides Radeon DRM for older GPUs.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So is this a replacement for pp_sclk_od and pp_mclk_od that also will allow downclock?

Last edited by puleglot; 16 January 2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Very happy about this, undervolting often works great with AMD gpus and can increase power efficiency a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

AMDGPU is the "free" driver.... The AMDGPU kernel driver is used by both the hybrid and fully open stacks. There isn't any other kernel driver besides Radeon DRM for older GPUs.
            There is FGLRX also, but that is at this time for brave-only

Comment

Undervolting sounds very tempting, indeed. But then you better thoroughly test this afterwards. Random crashes and mess-ups due to transistors occasionally not switching are evil and will cause "false bugs".
              (Though I thought dynamic voltage depending on frequency is already done either by driver or firmware? So what exactly does that patch change or add, besides exposing some lever to the user via sysfs?)
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It's real thing or it's just a limited offset by % ?

Comment

Judging by the example posted by Michael, it looks like the "real thing" found in Wattman on Windows (defining clocks and voltages for pstates).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Judging by the example posted by Michael, it looks like the "real thing" found in Wattman on Windows (defining clocks and voltages for pstates).
                    Yeah, and if that is indeed the case, someone just needs to write a GUI for it. That's pretty damn neat, actually. Fan control through hwmon interfaces is working nicely already.

Does Nvidia's blob have voltage control these days? I know it wasn't possible on my GTX 670 back in the day but Kepler was somewhat special anyway when it comes to over/undervolting...

Comment

Working...
                    X