Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 390.12 Linux Driver Reaches Beta

Phoronix: NVIDIA 390.12 Linux Driver Reaches Beta

NVIDIA has released their first beta driver in the long-awaited 390 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Spelling error Michael: workibg with the older driver branches.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
      Spelling error Michael: workibg with the older driver branches.
      Thanks
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Where's the dark side of this update? Like they don't want their GPUs used in certain kind of systems. Did anyone research on it? Are there patches for Nvidia drivers? Any reverse engineering efforts about it? Like the famous error 34.

Comment

Still no update for memory bug...
          my 780ti is struggling badly with this.

Comment

I got tired of this train wreck and pulled the Nvidia cards out of my Linux machine. Never looked back.

Comment

So much hate for NVidia. I salute NVidia for their work on the excellent Linux drivers which the silent majority of Linux gamers and users appreciate and enjoy. I am a hardcore gamer and haven't used Windows for several years now, thanks to Steam and also the excellent drivers by NVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                Most people kept the nVidia card and pulled Linux. Windows for gaming, Android for your phone and Linux is for, uh, corporate cloud container crap I guess.
                Whatever works best for you. Windows for gaming works best for me, although I'm tired of the Nvidia driver crashing semi-regularly recently.

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                So much hate for NVidia. I salute NVidia for their work on the excellent Linux drivers which the silent majority of Linux gamers and users appreciate and enjoy. I am a hardcore gamer and haven't used Windows for several years now, thanks to Steam and also the excellent drivers by NVidia.
                The straw that broke the camel's back was their shim failing to compile correctly so approx. 1/5 kernel updates result in broken system. There is hope for a relatively painless AMD experience now at least.
                Last edited by brrrrttttt; 04 January 2018, 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling -_-

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                  Actually , although i'm using Nvidia with prop drivers i don't agree with you.

I agree that Amd driver situation is a bit of a mess and because of the Nvidia monopoly devs are mostly care about Nvidia. If it works on Nvidia , Amd is not their problem. And Mesa , is not their problem at all.

I'm using mainline kernels and latest 4.14.9 messed Nvidia drivers. So i struggled with Tty , it was a bit frustrating. On Amd with Mesa , you don't have this problem.

But you will have OpenGL compat problem , hardcoded games for prop drivers won't run without workarounds which last thing a gamer want , Wine problems , lack of Gui for some control on gpu etc.

Amd is on a good way but still has ways to go.

Comment

Is the memory allocation bug really workarounded? I cant find any mention of it in the official changelog.

Comment

Working...
                    X