Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA To Stop Offering 32-bit Driver Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA To Stop Offering 32-bit Driver Support

2017 could go down as the year that marked the descent of x86 32-bit support. Ubuntu 17.10 dropped their 32-bit desktop ISO, Ubuntu Server is now dropping their 32-bit installer, and more. Now NVIDIA Corp is announcing they are ending 32-bit support for their graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those pictures are funny, the notebooks displayed having an ati badge on them

Comment

Finally! I will hopefully force companies to port their games/applications to 64 bit for real.

Comment

About time…

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Finally! I will hopefully force companies to port their games/applications to 64 bit for real.
          Why should they? 32 bit apps will continue to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            For the nth time, when someone says they are dropping 32bit support it means they stop supporting NATIVE 32bit OSes, not that they stop supporting 32bit applications

Comment

I know on FreeBSD, to get Wine working (or at least 32bit Windows .exes) with 3D games on an NVIDIA card, you need to install / compile up from ports the 32-bit compatibility libs provided by NVIDIA driver. I believe it is the same with Linux.
              I am assuming by dropping 32-bit support that they mean the 32-bit standalone driver? Not the 32-bit compat right.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                I know on FreeBSD, to get Wine working (or at least 32bit Windows .exes) with 3D games on an NVIDIA card, you need to install / compile up from ports the 32-bit compatibility libs provided by NVIDIA driver. I believe it is the same with Linux.
                I am assuming by dropping 32-bit support that they mean the 32-bit standalone driver? Not the 32-bit compat right.
                FTA: "This change is about 32-bit operating system support and almost certainly will continue bundling 32-bit libraries with their 64-bit drivers"
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  hopefully this will finally motivate Valve in 2018 to finally move to going all 64-bit with Steam
                  Can't wait to see it in 2133. They've been trying to fix the 64-bit version of HL2 for a decade now, no success yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                    Those pictures are funny, the notebooks displayed having an ati badge on them
                    I was going to comment about that. Very funny indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X