NVIDIA's New Memory Allocator Project To Be Standalone, Undecided On Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's New Memory Allocator Project To Be Standalone, Undecided On Name

Phoronix: NVIDIA's New Memory Allocator Project To Be Standalone, Undecided On Name

Following NVIDIA's call for feedback on their effort to create a new device memory allocator API that would be of equal use to the upstream open-source drivers and potentially replace (or indirectly used by) the Wayland compositors in place of the existing GBM API and NVIDIA's failed EGLStreams Wayland push, more on their next steps is being formulated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And in another news, another ME vulnerability is out in the open

Comment

Good. Even though there may be lots of people here who hate Nvidia for various reasons (and I'm not saying they're wrong), but for the overall benefit of the desktop Linux ecosystem, standardized solutions such as this must happen. Nvidia handled this horribly in the beginning, but it looks like this time this might end up working out for everyone.

So, sure, feel free to hate on Nvidia, just give them the props they deserve when appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
        And in another news, another ME vulnerability is out in the open

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../software.html
        Intel-SA-00086 was the security advisory already disclosed last week... That page seems to be just about the firmware update availability for some systems?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Intel-SA-00086 was the security advisory already disclosed last week... That page seems to be just about the firmware update availability for some systems?
          You're right. I suppose I didn't catch-up to all Phoronix posts yet. Sorry for the noise

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
            Following NVIDIA's call for feedback on their effort to create a new device memory allocator API that would be of equal use to the upstream open-source drivers and potentially replace (or indirectly used by) the Wayland compositors in place of the existing GBM API and NVIDIA's failed EGLStreams Wayland push, more on their next steps is being formulated.
            I ran out of breath reading that, and then I had to read it again because it didn't make sense at first. "more on their next steps is being formulated" seems like awkward language to me.

EDIT: "there appears to be some consensus on moving forward this API/library as its own standalone project" also seems like it was written by a Chinese intern.
            Last edited by DanL; 30 November 2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

can someone explain if vulkan's wsi server side extesion will make this unnecesary ?

Comment

Whatever name they end up deciding, it likely won't be until well into 2018 before the API and implementation are stable enough for use by the mainstream Wayland compositors.
                Hofstadter's Law

"It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

Comment

Is libgdmalloc short for GodDamned (...I mean Generic Device) Memory Allocator already taken?

Comment

libmiddlefinger

Comment

Working...
                    X