NVIDIA Wants Feedback On Its Device Memory Allocator Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yeah was fixed a minute ago after tildearrow reported it, thanks.
    Oh. Missed it. I must have literally opened the article seconds before you submitted the change XD

Comment

Originally posted by mdvle View Post
      Really? Then why did Intel find it necessary to hire the GPU guy from AMD to restart their GPU division?
      You mean the high-level bean counter guy.

Comment

Unless they provide signed firmwares for the GPUs NVIDIA can go fuck itself. Really there is no point in using Noveau at all if the cards don't reclock.

I understand the NVIDIA developers are just caught in the crossfire here, mind me.

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis
          OpenCL instead of the completely closed CUDA
          That decision is probably made by market strategists more than linux driver engineers. I think you're right about the big bosses, but I take this reachout as coming from the (well meaning) engineering department. A sorely needed & expectedly highly welcome one, at that.

Originally posted by James Jones of Nvidia
          In other words, wherever modifications to the nouveau kernel & userspace drivers are needed to implement the improved allocator mechanisms, we'll be contributing patches if no one beats us to it.
          Is that a reference to this?
          Originally posted by Martin Flöser (nee Gräßlin)
          Today I would accept a patch for EGLStreams in KWin if NVIDIA provides it.
          I take this as delightful news for a tuesday!

Applause, Nvidia.
          Last edited by andreano; 21 November 2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post
            Isn't that the point? If this new library is adopted then NVidia will work pretty well with Wayland (including xwayland if it gets ported).
            Oh, I wasn't aware that hw accel for xwayland is also tied to GBM.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Oh, I wasn't aware that hw accel for xwayland is also tied to GBM.
              Or if/when server-side GLVND lands possible for 1.20 release early next year... That might also workaround the NVIDIA XWayland woes.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Does that mean that I don't need to return my mew laptop? I planned to try AMD butnas much as I tried to stay away from NVidia, in thenend I just got that good offer for a new cool laptop with really great discount I couldn't resist. But the dark side of the deal was it came with NVidia card. I like the device but even last years NVidia card and it's drivers leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to Linux. I don't understand what is so impossible to get rid of screen tearing on laptop screen when second monitor connected via HDMI doesn't have tearing. Intel and AMD seems to have this fixed for quite some time now (as far as I was able witness)

anyway, good news that NVidia began to feel pressure, maybe Nvida will become a bit better. For two years I just couldn't recommend Nvidia to anyone who wanted more than Windows OS world when it comes to laptops. Hope this will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Danas_Anis View Post
                  I don't understand what is so impossible to get rid of screen tearing on laptop screen when second monitor connected via HDMI doesn't have tearing.
                  If it's an Optimus laptop, the builtin screen uses the integrated Intel GPU while the HDMI output is probably connected to the Nvidia GPU, so the problem is more likely with Intel driver.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

If it's an Optimus laptop, the builtin screen uses the integrated Intel GPU while the HDMI output is probably connected to the Nvidia GPU, so the problem is more likely with Intel driver.
                    No, it is exclusive to Nvidia, I have two laptops with Nvidia optimus, and both, old one and new one show same behavior, when on Intel GPU, everything is butter smooth, once I switch to Nvidia card, the screens of my laptops (both old and new) exhibit tearing, but if I connect external monitor, the connected monitor is fine while laptops are showing tearing. Anyway, that is not that much import anymore, many years with this, got used to that and was wiling to become AMD user, the irony is that I ended up with a laptop that has Nvidia again, the discount was too good not to take, so will have to live with it, hopefully Nvidia will wake up and do something good.

(well at least my new laptop has a different type of hdmi port wiring, so now I am able to connect external screen with both intel and nvidia cards, with my previous laptop I could connect second monitor with nvidia card only, that was upsetting, especially before Nvidia driver 375 and newer came out. (tearing everywhere) ) My real sadness with Nvidia came when I began getting performance issues with the creative software that i use, while AMD GPUs are getting performance boost, Nvidia seemed more and more problematic, to such extremes where even Intel chip used to do better. So I am very happy to hear that Nvidia might try to be serious again. Keeping my fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Interesting to me how Nvidia suddenly cares about the opinions of Linux users, and even Nouveau. Back in Linus' "fuck you Nvidia" days, the available technology and drivers at the time gave Nvidia enough of an edge where they could be their usual selves and just brush it off like "I don't care what any of you think, you're doing it my way because you don't have a better option". But now, AMD+Intel are almost fully caught-up with Nvidia (in terms of performance and features), and Wayland is starting to be more widely adopted. Ignoring hardware limitations, we're very close to a point where AMD will be a resounding better option for Linux (regardless of your principles) and where Nvidia will be holding back development to the point where they're resented rather than "begrudgingly accepted".
                      I hate saying this... but we've been saying that about AMD for almost a decade... and Intel has always been on top of their Linux game.

Comment

Working...
                      X