Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuttering with Nvidia 384.90 Driver + Fedora 26, Possible Solution

Hi Everyone,

I noticed a couple weeks ago that my system was exhibiting some very annoying stuttering. This would occur when typing, scrolling on a webpage, watching a video on Youtube, essentially pretty much anything I did. The stutter would occur every 5-10 seconds, and was like a micro-hitch.

I've been living with it for a while, it's annoying, but not a show-stopper.

Today I decided to investigate the issue, and I was able to find a solution. Turns out the problem was caused by more recent version of the nvidia driver. I'm running Fedora 26 and using the negativo17 repos.

The solve the problem I completely uninstalled the most recent version of the nvidia driver:

sudo dnf remove nvidia-settings nvidia-driver dkms-nvidia nvidia-driver-libs nvidia-driver-libs.i686

I then rebooted and went into X using Nouveau.

I then installed the older version of the Nvidia driver from the negativo repos using the following command:

sudo dnf install dkms-nvidia-2:384.59-1.fc26 nvidia-driver-libs-2:384.59-6.fc26.i686

Then I rebooted again and the micro stutter has almost completely been removed.

So for me, reverting back to 384.59 appeared to solve my stuttering problem. I hope this solves others that are running into this problem.

As a side note I'm very much looking forward to ditching my Nivida card and moving to Vega when Fedora starts to use kernel 4.15. I'm sick of these proprietary drivers!

It is simpler to use the nvdia driver from the nvidia site than many distribution packages. With one command you install and remove the nvidia driver. Nobody knows how buggy are the distribution packages.

Open source drivers are simpler to use, it is fun to make a custom kernel and update rest of system with Synaptic that updates Oibaf ppa Mesa too. X is working while you work. This with Debian testing Xfce, for more information, see the second message: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room

Code:
    xfce@ryzen5pc:~$ screenfetch
             _,met$$$$$gg.           xfce@ryzen5pc
          ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.        OS: Debian unstable sid
        ,g$$P""       """Y$$.".      Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.14.0-rc4
       ,$$P'              `$$$.      Uptime: 3h 28m
      ',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:    Packages: 1980
      `d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$     Shell: bash 4.4.12
       $$P      d$'     ,    $$P     Resolution: 1920x1080
       $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'     DE: XFCE
       $$\;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      WM: Xfwm4
       Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'          WM Theme: Default
       `$$b      "-.__               GTK Theme: Xfce [GTK2]
        `Y$$                         Icon Theme: Tango
         `Y$$.                       Font: Sans 10
           `$$b.                     CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core @ 12x 3.194GHz [38.5°C]
             `Y$$b.                  GPU: AMD/ATI Baffin [Polaris11]
                `"Y$b._              RAM: 717MiB / 7989MiB
                    `""""
    Last edited by debianxfce; 10-10-2017, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X