Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Open-Sources "NVDLA", Open-Source Hardware Project

Phoronix: NVIDIA Open-Sources "NVDLA", Open-Source Hardware Project

NVIDIA has announced a new open-source project: NVDLA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did they really need to create another licence? Any one got any idea what it's equivalent or most similar to? I.E. MIT, Apache, CDDL or GPL

I did try reading it but it seems quite complicated and mentions patents

Comment

I like open-source anything, but this seems extremely downstream.

Comment

I read the title wrong as Nvidia was starting a Open GPU driver. I have to say that was the biggest letdown in a long time.

Comment

Just don't ever again expect them to do so.

Comment

What's the catch?

Does the license also grant patent exception, or is it Android all over again - try to use it without paying $BIGCOMPANY and get sued?

Or does it use proprietary components that are not normally available outside of an agreement with $BIGCOMPANY like it was with Raspberry Pi?

Or did they invent yet another way to screw you with that custom license of theirs?

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
              Does the license also grant patent exception, or is it Android all over again - try to use it without paying $BIGCOMPANY and get sued?
              only $BIGCOMPANY can grant exception to patents, owned by $BIGCOMPANY
              i.e. your sentence is plain stupid. google can't grant you someone else's patents and afaik google didn't sue anyone for using android
              Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
              Or did they invent yet another way to screw you with that custom license of theirs?
              i guess they just can't sell their automotive stuff. tesla is jumping off.

Comment

They had no choice. AMD & Tesla are in process in making themselves NN inference processor for use in the Tesla cars. The architectural lead is Jim Keller, main designer of Athlon & Zen. Given AMD & Tesla openness ( think OpenAI, RadeonSI, ROCm, etc. ), NVidia will do anything to keep its market share.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  They had no choice. AMD & Tesla are in process in making themselves NN inference processor for use in the Tesla cars. The architectural lead is Jim Keller, main designer of Athlon & Zen. Given AMD & Tesla openness ( think OpenAI, RadeonSI, ROCm, etc. ), NVidia will do anything to keep its market share.
                  First time I heard about this. I read Tesla ditched Nvidia for Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

First time I heard about this. I read Tesla ditched Nvidia for Intel.
                    News are quite confusing. Some say Intel got the deal, others said just a part of it and the rest is still unknown. Tesla cars featuring both Intel and AMD chips? It seems weird to me, but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                    X