No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Offers Update On Their Proposed Unix Device Memory Allocation Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Offers Update On Their Proposed Unix Device Memory Allocation Library

Phoronix: NVIDIA Offers Update On Their Proposed Unix Device Memory Allocation Library

James Jones of NVIDIA presented this morning at XDC2017 with their annual update on a new Unix device memory allocation library. As a reminder, this library originated from NVIDIA's concerns over the Generic Buffer Manager (GBM) currently used by Wayland compositors not being suitable for use with their driver's architecture and then the other driver developers not being interested in switching to EGLStreams, NVIDIA's original push for supporting Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure if this is really the right place to post this, but I'm going to do it anyway:

Dear NVidia,

Your closed source Linux driver approach has actively turned me off buying NVidia hardware for my PCs for the past 5 years. In fact, I recently purchased an RX Vega 64 because AMD actively supports the FLOSS Linux driver efforts.

P.S. I can imagine that it must be fairly demotivating to work as an NVidia Linux driver software engineer when all you get is posts like mine. I know you engineers are just doing your jobs in what must be fairly adverse circumstances. Please don't take what I wrote personally. =)

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
      P.S. I can imagine that it must be fairly demotivating to work as an NVidia Linux driver software engineer when all you get is posts like mine. I know you engineers are just doing
      your jobs in what must be fairly adverse circumstances. Please don't take what I wrote personally. =)
      When RadeonSI was slower than R600, back in 2014 more or less, that was an adverse circumstance for AMD developers, it was a long road to get where we are now

Comment

P.S. I can imagine that it must be fairly demotivating to work as an NVidia Linux driver software engineer when all you get is posts like mine. I know you engineers are just doing your jobs in what must be fairly adverse circumstances. Please don't take what I wrote personally. =)
        Yes, I am pretty sure getting death threats like Poettering is motivating.

Comment

Right. Because there's absolutely no other reason to pick a job other than posts on internet forums

Comment

Dear NVidia
            I think there are a lot of licenses, patents, etc. in the Nvidia's driver. How can they open / rewrite the code?

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
              I think there are a lot of licenses, patents, etc. in the Nvidia's driver. How can they open / rewrite the code?
              Eh, I've posted this several times, but it fell of deaf ears. Drivers are not open sourced, they are rewritten under an open source license. Huge effort, rarely worth the trouble. Though Nvidia aren't doing themselves much good by not releasing documentation and keeping firmware under wraps.

Comment

Not sure if this is really the right place to post this, but I'm going to do it anyway:

Dear NVidia,

Your closed source Linux driver approach has actively turned me off buying NVidia hardware for my PCs for the past 5 years. In fact, I recently purchased an RX Vega 64 because AMD actively supports the FLOSS Linux driver efforts.

I supported AMD by purchasing an AMD card.
                The funny thing is that the performance may not match windows (not that nvidia does it either) but the desktop experience is better in Ubuntu 17.04 mesa 17.30 4.12.13+ kernel from m-bab than Windows...

Kudos to amd for the great linux support.

Comment

This shit is taking far too long. And fucks up wayland adoption for many desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post

I supported AMD by purchasing an AMD card.
                    Tell that all the thousands of people who've been waiting for months to purchase an AMD card, just to find none or at ridiculous prices.

Comment

Working...
                    X