No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Delivers Beta OpenGL 3.0 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That ATI driver doesn't appear to have any OpenGL 3.0 support as it is missing the extension required to create an OpenGL 3.0 context, GLX_ARB_create_context. Of course, I wouldn't expect it to be there as the specification was only completed on October 22, the day before NVIDIA released their OpenGL 3.0 driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      no -.- ati Support some OpenGL 3 parts since the Catalyst 8.9/8.10 ( 8.10 definitely because i dont have use 8.9 ). so AMD/ATI was faster.

EDIT: ATI Support some OGL3 Extensions since 8.9 look http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/catalys...ase_notes.html
      I knew the Windows driver had gotten partial OpenGL 3 support. But I thought that didn't apply to the Linux driver as well.

Comment

strange, 177.61.02 does not want to install as it detects that i have a Xen kernel, but 177.80 says i do not have one and installs

Comment

Did you try

export IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=1

Comment

Awesome, now provide a driver that can be installed on any kernel and won't break with a switch between kernels, a true Linux kernel module that's actually modular, so normal users who don't understand the risk of installing the binary from Nvidia who then do a system update only to find their system totally hosed after it installed a newer kernel for them won't get fXXXed. Maybe the kernel module API needs some stabilization for that to happen, but regardless something needs to happen because it's a problem for many users.

Comment

Well Xserver 1.5 support for GeForce 5 and newer exits since end of may (173.14.xx) - ATI has a beta version since mid of october for Ubuntu. That's in best case 4 month after NV. That change was really more important. Smaller kernel ABI changes can be fixed manually, for bigger ones you need new drivers. For 2.6.28 take a look there:

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                Awesome, now provide a driver that can be installed on any kernel and won't break with a switch between kernels.
                Ubuntu Intrepid, and other distros, use DKMS to achieve this effect with the current nVidia drivers.

Comment

Catalyst 8.10 supports already a lot of OpenGL 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by thacrazze View Post
                    Catalyst 8.10 supports already a lot of OpenGL 3.0.
                    no, without GLX_create_context it has NO opengl 3 support at all.

Comment

Catalyst 8.10 supports already a lot of parts of OpenGL 3.0.

Comment

Working...
                      X