NVIDIA 384.59 Driver Is Playing Fine With Linux 4.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    make sure to express your latest test requests.
    Michael

I'd be extremely excited about the upcoming RX Vega benchmarks in some sort of "What if..." scenario. Let me elaborate:

The Linux 4.13 + mesa-git results for AMD are impressive and having a similar test setup with the upcoming RX Vega is a must have benchmark anyway. But I'm interested in an educated guess, how future native software would compare to Win10.

My primary interest is Star Citizen (and it will come out on Vulkan and Linux native) and if the OS-drivers are really 50-70% faster than the CS-ones (and assuming RADV will be competitive by the time Star Citizen is released for Linux) then we would get more than Titan Xp performance on RX Vega in Linux. Benches that touch this topic are on the top of my wishlist. I know Star Citizen is not bench-able on Linux, but maybe we could take some sort of Vulkan-Demo as replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      I and my kid made a custom non-debug 1000Hz timer 4.13-rc4 kernel yesterday and this nv driver works fine with kids 750ti. I do not like working in the Linux rescue mode and compile kernel headers, so next card is RX570 definitely when it is available under 200 euros like it was before miners took them all.
      Really? After years of telling us we should compile the kernel ourselves because it only takes a few minutes and apparently life is not worth living with the default clock resolution (or a tickless kernel), that's where you draw the line?

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
        Michael

I'd be extremely excited about the upcoming RX Vega benchmarks in some sort of "What if..." scenario. Let me elaborate:

The Linux 4.13 + mesa-git results for AMD are impressive and having a similar test setup with the upcoming RX Vega is a must have benchmark anyway. But I'm interested in an educated guess, how future native software would compare to Win10.

My primary interest is Star Citizen (and it will come out on Vulkan and Linux native) and if the OS-drivers are really 50-70% faster than the CS-ones (and assuming RADV will be competitive by the time Star Citizen is released for Linux) then we would get more than Titan Xp performance on RX Vega in Linux. Benches that touch this topic are on the top of my wishlist. I know Star Citizen is not bench-able on Linux, but maybe we could take some sort of Vulkan-Demo as replacement?
        Don't worry to much about Star Citizen benchmarks. By the time it comes out, Vulkan will be deprecated

Comment

I and my kid made a custom non-debug 1000Hz timer 4.13-rc4 kernel yesterday and this nv driver works fine with kids 750ti. I do not like working in the Linux rescue mode and compile kernel headers, so next card is RX570 definitely when it is available under 200 euros like it was before miners took them all.
          Great choice!
          I sold my Nitro+ RX 480 8GB to be able to build my Ryzen rig, but I could not find a viable AMD replacement for the Nitro+.
          RX 570 and 580 cards go for 350-550€ in my country, used ones hover around 300-350€.
          Instead I bought an EVGA GTX 970 Hybrid with a 10 year warranty, for literally half the price of an RX 580...
          I got roughly the same performance as my RX 480 for almost half the used price, yet I still regretted the switch because I had trouble even with installing a distro and getting proper display functionality going. In the end I had to resort to using Ubuntu & Co..

Long story short: stay clear of Nvidia hardware if you intend to run linux on it!
          Last edited by OneBitUser; 10 August 2017, 04:58 AM.

Comment

I gather that you are not having any problems with nvidia binaries and gdm3?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Don't worry to much about Star Citizen benchmarks. By the time it comes out, Vulkan will be deprecated
              Will you also give you grandchildren your signed autograph from Chris Roberts as student loan payback security?

But a tad bit more serious here:
              My estimation for SQ42 is 2018 and for the PU 2020/2021. I think thats enough time for Vulkan to mature. I'm not sure if SQ42 will see a Vulkan implementation - they may be too far into production right now to switch the renderer, as this may stall several other production sectors. But for the PU, they can do it by shifting stuff a little around.

As I will buy RX Vega, I'd like to know how much performance is hidden inside it. And the only platform I realistically see it being put on the road is Linux. I hope, that the ports on Linux will run "okay"-ish and expect Vulkan games to explode, once optimizations hits the fan. In any case, anything near 1080 Ti performance would be "okay" in my book for general gaming performance. And I think, we will see that when drivers are halfway mature.

After 6 years of using the 7970 and watching the progress on Linux, there is simply no way I'm going team green again for the purpose of gaming on Linux.

Comment

So far so good over here gtx 1070 4.11 kernel Shadow of Mordor improved by a large margin getting closer to be on par with windows 10. I think the 4.11 kernel helped quite a bit. Some of the performance gains I am sure are always going to be to a better optimized port when it comes to windows 10. Windows 10 is th gaming machine for sure no comparison it just works so damn well. For everything else though I like my linux.
                Last edited by creative; 12 August 2017, 06:25 AM.

Comment

For me, I can't get latest nvidia binaries working with gnome & gdm3 if I have modeset=1 on the nvidia driver. modeset=1 is necessary to use Prime Synchronization which gives tear free video. This is a problem for me in both ubuntu 17.04 and 17.10. There are desultory bug reports, it's not getting much attention. The attempt to start gnome sessions fails with a crash in libmutter and you return to the greeter.

I'm wondering if anyone else interested in Prime Sync on Optimus laptops can reproduce this (set /etc/modprobe.d/zz-nvidia.conf to have contents: options nvidia_384_drm modeset=1 then sudo update-initramfs -u and use gdm3 & gnome)

On my hardware, it's fine if you use lightdm as the display manager. I have two Optimus laptops with this problem: a ThinkPad P50 and a ThinkPad W520

Comment

I hope 4.14 support will be easy as well since that is the next LTS release.

Comment

Hope or patching skills is what you need with the nvidia driver, longest delay has been one month after the kernel release. Usually arch linux guys do the first patches. Patches are easy to copy to other distributions.
                      Good points. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X