No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 384.59 Driver Is Playing Fine With Linux 4.13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, I can't get latest nvidia binaries working with gnome & gdm3 if I have modeset=1 on the nvidia driver. modeset=1 is necessary to use Prime Synchronization which gives tear free video. This is a problem for me in both ubuntu 17.04 and 17.10. There are desultory bug reports, it's not getting much attention. The attempt to start gnome sessions fails with a crash in libmutter and you return to the greeter.

I'm wondering if anyone else interested in Prime Sync on Optimus laptops can reproduce this (set /etc/modprobe.d/zz-nvidia.conf to have contents: options nvidia_384_drm modeset=1 then sudo update-initramfs -u and use gdm3 & gnome)

On my hardware, it's fine if you use lightdm as the display manager. I have two Optimus laptops with this problem: a ThinkPad P50 and a ThinkPad W520

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
      For me, I can't get latest nvidia binaries working with gnome & gdm3...
      On my hardware, it's fine if you use lightdm as the display manager.
      Why use redhat based shitty software at all...You can avoid gnome3, gdm, systemd,pulseaudio and networkmanager easily.

Comment

I hope 4.14 support will be easy as well since that is the next LTS release.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
          I hope 4.14 support will be easy as well since that is the next LTS release.
          Hope or patching skills is what you need with the nvidia driver, longest delay has been one month after the kernel release. Usually arch linux guys do the first patches. Patches are easy to copy to other distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Hope or patching skills is what you need with the nvidia driver, longest delay has been one month after the kernel release. Usually arch linux guys do the first patches. Patches are easy to copy to other distributions.
            Good points. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X