No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 384.59 Linux Driver Released Along With 375.82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia driver from nvidia site works great in Debian without debian packaging inconsistencies.
    That's the greatest lie, you have ever posted here!
    Every updtate of xserver-parts or mesa will break the driver, because the run-installer replaces importeant libs.
    But you can't know that, you don't use debian really. You are only a troll in that forum.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Same effect you have when you extract the nvidia .run file, patch if needed and run the installer script. Extracting the .run file creates a new directory for each driver version, so it is easy to roll back if the new driver is buggy. Nvidia driver from nvidia site works great in Debian without debian packaging inconsistencies.
      Fine, that works best for you. Good for you. But it doesn't work me.

In my case, if a package depends on nvidia gl libraries and I remove that and install files directly to disk via the .run file, the dependency is broken. I also cannot quickly list the installed files unless they are installed through a package manager.

It also takes me less time to package a beta nvidia driver, add patches, and (update or rollback) via packages I created than upgrading and rolling back via the .run file. Why would I want to spend more time on something when I can do it with less typing?

I've installed nvidia driver via .run file back in the suse 9.0 days. I didn't like it.

If something works for you, it doesn't necessarily work for others. Don't obsess about it. You can't force your workflow on others. My package manager saves me time, so no, thank you. I'm not going to start doing things differently because you said so.

Comment

Debian packaging system is better than in arch linux where whole os need to update often to have some stability.
        Again, a matter of taste, habit, and workflow. RPM packaging can easily be argued for to be the best as well. But at the end of the day, things fall back to what you know how to use. All of this is subjective. Some people will feel LFS is the best. Some feel Gentoo is the best. Some feel CentOS is the best. Some feel Debian is best.
        The best here means "what closely fits their workflow". Try to understand that. By understanding that, you will be able to understand other people.

For example, I don't believe in telling a new user to use a .run file when that use probably doesn't even know how to "exit the X server first".
        But this installation mode may work for you because you seem to know what you are doing.

Using native distribution packages works best for someone like me who likes to keep things neat. Neither of us are wrong. We just have different ways of maintaining things. Really...try to understand that.

Comment

That is not true when using Debian testing and latest nvidia drivers. Mesa is not needed with the nvidia driver. So you are troll.
          You are really the greatest hero of the known debian universe with no single knowledge about debian.

Mesa is not needed bei the nvidia-driver, true but well known. But many packages has a dependency to mesa, so it's installed and can't be removed without removing half of the system.
          Some expample?
          cinnamon, smplayer, wine, steam, virtualbox.

So don't tell peaople fud and play with your own frankendebian, but do not try to help other peaople in any support forum.

Comment

Debian has longest history of solving dependency problems.

Yeah, you must be a rocket scientist to find and use the Linux Rescue mode from the Grub menu.
            You are a very passive aggressive person with a superiority complex that wouldn't exist if you didn't have the internet to hide behind. And it is not like you are the only person on the planet who maintains computers. Some of us have been doing so since windows95 days.

Comment

You are a very passive aggressive person with a superiority complex when you react to facts like you did.
              Ok. I see this is very important to you. As you wish, you are right in every thing and everyone else is wrong because you are very smart. Everything you said is a fact. Everything anyone else says is an uneducated opinion. Are you happy now?

Comment

Working...
              X