Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 381.10.10 Vulkan Linux Driver Benchmarks

Phoronix: NVIDIA 381.10.10 Vulkan Linux Driver Benchmarks

With NVIDIA just releasing a new beta Vulkan driver that in addition to having new Vulkan extensions and better Vulkan/OpenGL interoperability also has "various performance improvements", I couldn't resist running some benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's interesting there are differences at all. The driver was supposed to very thin for Vulkan with most of the work moved onto the application/game engine itself. I'm guessing this is in "tune that thin layer" phase?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      It's interesting there are differences at all. The driver was supposed to very thin for Vulkan with most of the work moved onto the application/game engine itself. I'm guessing this is in "tune that thin layer" phase?
      I would like to know the same thing. The proprietary driver could have taken shortcuts in development, which are now being refactored or perhaps this driver contains card specific optimizations? Who knows...

Comment

Nice to see improvements and no regression.

Comment

Why does a stable realease (381.22) have a higher version number than a new beta (381.10.10) ?

Is that long-lived vs short-lived being on different tracks?

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
            Why does a stable realease (381.22) have a higher version number than a new beta (381.10.10) ?

Is that long-lived vs short-lived being on different tracks?
            Because they're coming from different development branches. Not very intuitive, but that's how software versioning works (at least for Nvidia's drivers).

Comment

Informative article. Also Nvidia should be commended for being very quick and efficient to implement these new upcoming vulkan features.

Would like to see a similar test on amdgpu-pro.

Comment

The difference between 375.66 and 381.22 is that vulkan works on more nvidia cards. Especially on my steam machine with steam os the nvidia vulkan drivers kept crashing until 381.22 was released. Even 381.09 did not suffice.

Comment

Working...
                X